Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I need some tips about henna!!

laura ewing
@laura-ewing
13 years ago
40 posts

I am thinking about coloring my dreads with henna....my natural hair color is just plain...it is not brown,it is not black either.Iwould like a brown red color...not too red but not brownall the way neither.

I have been growing dreads for around 7 weeks and I was wondering how henna is going to affect them...Can somebody give me any tips about it and what color should I use?.. and do anybody know where can I get the henna from??.

P.D: here I am leaving a pic of my hair color!!

take care!

updated by @laura-ewing: 01/13/15 09:10:33PM
Niko
@niko
13 years ago
9 posts

Hey there, before dreads I dyed my hair with henna all the time. Here's what I used, for copper-ish hair, but this brand has all of the natural hair colours, made of henna:

http://www.theincensestore.com/online_store/henna-hair-colouring-powder-copper.cfm

I recommend it,I love the colours that this product (and its other colours) produce, but my hair stylist once told me not to because the colouring has added metallics (for the colour) which aren't necessarily good for your hair.

So it's probably best to use real, fully natural henna (which can turn your hair from shades of light brown to dark maroon, depending on your hair type...it's kind of an experiment every time).

I haven't tried henna in my dreads yet because I'm worried that since it is such a grainy, powdered substance it will be harder to wash it out. I had a hard enough time trying to get the tiny grains out of my NORMAL hair, haha, and would spend at least 45 minutes in the shower...and then some.

I hope this helps a little...let me know how your henna experience goes, I'd love to know! :)

laura ewing
@laura-ewing
13 years ago
40 posts

thank you so much Niko!!...I tryed natural henna once a long time ago,i got it from one trip that i made to the desert and I loved the way it turned out on my hair but like you said it was hard to wash it out!....I am afraid to do it on my baby dreads!!

Thank you so much for the link!!...I will let you know how it was if I finally decide to do it!!

take care!

Niko said:

Hey there, before dreads I dyed my hair with henna all the time. Here's what I used, for copper-ish hair, but this brand has all of the natural hair colours, made of henna:

http://www.theincensestore.com/online_store/henna-hair-colouring-po...

I recommend it,I love the colours that this product (and its other colours) produce, but my hair stylist once told me not to because the colouring has added metallics (for the colour) which aren't necessarily good for your hair.

So it's probably best to use real, fully natural henna (which can turn your hair from shades of light brown to dark maroon, depending on your hair type...it's kind of an experiment every time).

I haven't tried henna in my dreads yet because I'm worried that since it is such a grainy, powdered substance it will be harder to wash it out. I had a hard enough time trying to get the tiny grains out of my NORMAL hair, haha, and would spend at least 45 minutes in the shower...and then some.

I hope this helps a little...let me know how your henna experience goes, I'd love to know! :)

Lunatic
@lunatic
13 years ago
24 posts

I believe henna wouldn't hurt dreadlocks (altough i haven't tried for myself), it might only slow down the natural process of dreading, since i believe it's a bit conditioning.

I would suggest buying natural henna blocks, that most natural stores have. Those don't have any additives, that the pre-made ones may contain. Good luck and keep us updated with the results (:

laura ewing
@laura-ewing
13 years ago
40 posts

thank guys!!...I am thinking about waiting a little until they mature more,they are doing pretty good on the back, you can already tell they are getting there but the ones in the front are too week and I dont want to mess them up!!

Niko
@niko
13 years ago
9 posts

Often if you use a totally natural henna, you can play around with the colour by using different teas and oils. Henna dries your hair out quite a bit. Before having dreads I would henna my hair, wash it out, then spend that night or the next with a concoction on my head of plain youghurt, egg white, coconut oil, citrus.... anyhow, you get the picture.. this nasty recipe on my head to condition it (and it really works!). But since you DON'T want to condition dreads, I guess just use henna and maybe smooth a little bit of coconut oil for the day. There are a ton of sites for henna (hair, tattoos, dyes, etc), I'm sure you'll find one that can help you :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form