dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Greetings, fellow dread-heads!

Vaughan Teague
@vaughan-teague
13 years ago
5 posts

Hello, dreadlocks community!
I'm a big fan of this site and have been lurking and taking in wisdom for a little while decided it was time to make an account.

Now for some some of my dread-history... (More of the bad and ugly than the good)

I have very thick, strong and relatively straight hair (starts to curl/wave slightly when it reaches shoulder length)... My hair doesn't really tangle and even now my dreads never need ripping apart because of my hair type and texture.

I used a combination of backcombing and twist 'n' rip, finishing the backcombing around the middle of July 2010.
From there, for most of their life, my dreads have been treated like crap! I'm thankful I have such thick hair or it may well have all broken off and fallen out by now!

After backcombing and leaving my hair alone for a couple of weeks I believed my dreads to be falling out (I now know better, but at the time this freaked me out) - my hair went back to being completely straight, but slightly maintaining it's sectioning and over time, even that was disappearing. I then twist 'n' ripped my hair and even re-backcombed a bit over the next 2 months ALL THE TIME. After that up until the 7 or 8 month mark I was twisting and ripping with decreasing frequency from twice a week to once every two weeks. At this stage my hair was dreaded to the point that about 60% of the way down would stay by itself. I don't remember when I started using the "loose hair tool v2.0" (the equivalent of crocheting I guess) but it was somewhere around then... and I continued to use it with great frequency to tidy up loose hairs and eventually blunt the tips.

Around the 1 year mark I had my eyes opened by this site and a couple of others and realised that I had been stupidly damaging my hair and setting it back, when I thought I had been helping it knot up... and that's when I set down my crochet hook for good! Unfortunately, though I now have much more loose hair at the scalp than I probably would doing things properly... but all things considered that's not so bad, seeing as with the rough treatment my hair has endured should probably have left me bald! Surprisingly I suffered no breakage or other easily noticeable hair damage! (Though It's impossible I did all that without damaging it)

Now I wash with Dr. Bronners (peppermint) 1-2 times a week and at least once a month do a baking soda & sea salt / apple cider vinegar deep clean... and other than the occasional hair tea, that's it! (I have seen the light! lol)

Woah that was a longer explaination than expected!
TLDR: Backcombed, twist n ripped for like 8 months, used a crochet hook for 3 or 4 months, now I am better educated and leave them alone and keep them nice and clean.

A little about me as a person...
I'm a really chilled out, peaceful, introverted and thoughtful 20 year old male from New Zealand. I enjoy smoking pot as much as I have money to buy it and having a couple of acid/mushy trips each year. I love music and poetry. I'm currently lacking real direction in life, considering careers in piloting (drug tests are a worry, so if ever, not now) or something computery (not sure if a desk job is really for me, though). All I know at this point is that I want to spent many years traveling the world. I've always felt guilty that animals die for my food but never really did anything about it... until yesterday I decided I'd go a month as a vegetarian and if I can handle the lifestyle change, which I think I can, continue indefinitely. Until I tried pot and psychedelics I was a nerdy kid on the way to a very unfulfilling life where I defined my happiness and success on others terms, valuing money and physical possessions... but thankfully they opened my eyes and I now value self discovery, happiness and friendships above all else. I want to learn to skateboard, snowboard and ride a motorbike... I can solve a 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and 5x5 rubik's cube and have learned to do so on my own, making my own methods (except for parity errors in the 4x4, which I used to just start again from scratch until I looked up an algorithm). I love music festivals, especially outdoor ones in the summer time! I make my own bracelets and necklaces from 100% natural hemp fiber, and enjoy little craft projects like that which keep my hands busy. I have a good sense of humor and am a fantastic listener.

My favorite poem of all time is Allen Ginsberg's the sunflower of sutra, though I love anything and everything written by Allen Ginsberg and Jim Morrison.
As for music, my favorites are (in no particular order) Tool, Jefferson Airplane, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Sublime, Gorillaz, The Doors, Nirvana, System of a Down, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Parliament Funkadelic, Battle Circus, Queens of the Stone Age, Monkey3, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, Cake, Metallica, Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Marilyn Manson, Pearl Jam, The Killers, Peter Tosh, Bob Dylan, Sigur Ros, A Perfect Circle, Incubus, Queen, Led Zeppelin and probably more I can't think of right now.
I'm not a massive art connoisseur but I love trippy/psychedelic/surrealist art... especially Alex Gray's work.

So yeah, if you read all that you probably know me pretty damn well by now... and I'm much looking forward to getting to know you all, too! Especially as it seems there's a certain something in attitude, spirit and personality I can't quite put my finger on that most people involved in dreadlock culture seem to share.

updated by @vaughan-teague: 01/13/15 09:10:31PM
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

Hi & Welcome Vaughan! Stop Tripping, lol! God Bless your Journey...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

exalt hes a smart kid only tripping 1-2 times a year nothing wrong with that its only a problem whenb u gewt that ego thing and gotta prove u can do more and more often then your peers when your taking 30 at a time every 4 days it can cause trouble but being sensible and responsible there are many benifits and yea there are risks

ok back to the post

that was loooong

well the loose hairs at the roots are good and will dread up on their own over time the crocheting delays or prevents dreading by forcing them to be wayu too tight but as they rcover they will start to dread u will have to seperate the roots evenualy probly 3 months from now

pilot if u wanna be an airline pilot then yea u will be tsted but u can be a comercial pilot that ..as an example does rides in gliders (what i had wanted to do if i stuill had a car to finnish getting my liscence) or aerobatic rides in an old stearman biplane

or even a air taxi or sightseeing service

but..no mkatter what u do not under any circumstances want to smoke (or ofcourse drink) on the day u fly yea u may drive better stones but flyings a whole diferent animal and u need a completely clear head and be hyper aware of a hundred things at once in fact i wouldnt fly for 2 or 3 days after tripping

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kelly Martin
@kelly-martin
13 years ago
4 posts

Vaughan! Wow, kiddo......great intro!! I feel like I would definately know you if I saw you!! Love your sharing about your dread journey! And definately follow SEagle's advice, your dreads will totally recover and be happy happy!!

Blessings on your path!!

Kelly

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

I don't mind the mushrooms, they're natural, but acid, uuuggggh, I didn't have fun with that at all way back when....

Vaughan Teague
@vaughan-teague
13 years ago
5 posts

Lol yeah that was way long... Sorry for the wall o' text, I know I dislike those myself!

Soaring Eagle - Always a big fan of your posts dude... Massive respect for your dreadspertese!

As for the piloting, that's what I really really want to do... and I totally wouldn't fly stoned or coming down or having recently tripped either... Good advice. The reason I'm not rushing into it is because I am under the impression that there is mandatory random drug testing during both training and career piloting... Those drug tests are horrible, your pilot can have a raging P addiction and they'd never know, but if he smokes a doobey, for the next 30 days he's in danger of losing his job and future employment opportunities =/

Kelly - Thank you muchly for your kid words! =)

ExaltHimx7 - I've had mushrooms twice so far... I've tried what we call in New Zealand "blue meanies" and "gold tops". Blue meanies, me and my friend both had a super super intense trip... Too intense for your first time. We both went down the rabbit hole and had a horrible trip, thinking for many hours of it we were sure to die! My friend was lucky that I was there to guide his trip and chill him out 'coz I'd had mine the day before. We both thought the day after was amazing, like the stories you hear of near death experiences, everything looked and tasted and felt amazing and I really had my priorities in order. Gold tops more more of a drunk and giggly trip, more pattern based visuals than almost liquid colour based hallucinations like the meanies, and I enjoyed them a lot more. The pat of mushroom trip I HATE is coming down... It's like having moments of clarity then of tripping for me, in and out... makes me feel like I'm losing my mind for HOURS!

Totally want to meet some knotty ladies in NZ... Dreads are so damn sexy! <3
Peace and love y'all, thanks for the replies!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form