Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help a new dreadlocks man!

Gabriel Beauchemin
@gabriel-beauchemin
13 years ago
50 posts

Hi everyone I am new! My name is Gabriel , I'm 17 and i'm from Canada.I need your advices and your thoughts about my dreadlocks.

So they are really new. I had my hair to my shoulder and was tired to get them in the face so I decided to get dreads. Also i really liked the style of them and was influenced by the natural of dreads.

I've found a shop where they make dreadlocks. it's a personnal method to make dreadlocks that the haircutter (catherine) make for her and decided to commercialize it when she realise it was really good. The method used no products but backcombing and other method to make knots in the head. She say that we should't get water in our hair for the first 4 months. In this period, she first, make the dreads, and in the next months, we just go see her few time to refix the loose hair again by methods suck as the crochets ( I dont know if you call it like that)

After 4 months she swear that our dreads will be solid enough to got in the water, clean them with normal shampoo...etc And I believe her because she had a lot of clients before me and they test it.

Right now my situation is that she did all the dreadlcks on my head and she said to come back when the knots of my dread will be really loose and got a lot a loose hair. And i've found the site talking about the neglect method (natural method) and i really aggree with it. If I wouldn't have seen Catherine, i would have probably begin this method. But now I've dreadlcoks, I really hesitate about what to do.

I mean, even if I follow the method of 4 motnhs of Catherine and my dreadlocks are solid, they will still grow and one day the roots will have to be dreads again even if the rest of the dreadlcoks are new. And there will be a lot of loose hairs.

What I think I will do is to follow the method of Catherine the 4 first months, and after this, when i will ahve good dreadlcoks i will continue by tring the neglect method. I wonder what will happen?

What do you think about it? Your advices and thoughts are welcome! :)

And I really like this site thank you s much to create it! It,s really the best one, the most complete and the most intelligent one. Thank you!

updated by @gabriel-beauchemin: 02/14/15 11:00:11AM
The Apprentice Shaman
@the-apprentice-shaman
13 years ago
30 posts

Why not just go natural from this very moment?

I spent a short time (a few hours lol) back combing then decided to simply allow nature to take it's course. Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination and you could well be ripping (pun intended) yourself off by taking short cuts.

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

Hi Gabriel and welcome'] You can just start the natural way now, like Jake said. Just wash them gently with the baking soda rinse (sodium bicarbonate) or use a clarifying shampoo like Suave or VO5 diluted 1/4 shampoo to 3/4 water. You must wash them for them to dread, dirty hair doesn't dread well, plus it smells, lol. Wash every 2-5 days--you will get loose hair, but the dreads she put in will eventually suck them up, Just relax, don't worry and it'll all turn out fine...God Bless your journey...

mellowtone
@mellowtone
13 years ago
48 posts

i think you should tell catherine that you appreciate her time but you're going to try another method first and see how that works! natrual is the way to go :) you'll be happy you did

Tara C
@tara-c
13 years ago
644 posts

What's the reason you can't get them wet for 4 months? I'd suggest you just go the natural method from now on. The fact is that loose hairs are common for a lot of people with dread locks, but they usually join other dreads or form new ones themselves, so don't worry about the loose hairs. Maybe she does have a good method, but it's pointless to have to do all of that when you can just let nature take its course. All it requires is patience, and you'll still be able to wash your hair

Gabriel Beauchemin
@gabriel-beauchemin
13 years ago
50 posts

Thank you Jake, Exalthim, Laurent and Mellowstone. I think I knew I was going to receve these kind of answer. Maybe I wrote this post just to matoivate me to go the naturral way. the hard thing for me about stopping the porggram I begin is my personnality really. I will explain why: -first for me it's hard for me to say no to someone when I first say yes.

-second I am really stubborn. When i've an idea in my head, it's hard to remove it. Evevn if the natural way is for me so evident that is better, I still want to make the old method I was suppose to do till the end.

I think what i will do is to go see catherine (that I like a lot) next month as I what suppose to and explain all my present thoughts. I also want to hear what she will say to me. It,s a kind of compromy that is easier for me that juste called her now to say i won,t come to see her. That is really to hard for me.

Another question: do you think the fact that i've presently pretty much egal dreadlocks make my futur dreadlocks (if I neglect for the futur months or years) less mess-up? I mean when i see some neglect dreadlocks that are really gross in my opinion, with big-big one and some flat some roound, all sized and some that begin to glue themselves to the tips (dreadlcoks that look grime on your head) that scared me a bit. I don't want att all perfect dreadlocks but i don't want to look like I never wash myself you know haha. I mean, do my futur dreadlocks are gonna be the same i've right now?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

do not ever go back thats a ghorible method anmrd wash your hair not washing for 4 months is gross what a rippoff

wash your hair right away and never ever go back

go natural from here

the loose hair she wants to fuuix she caused by breaking tonds of hair

dreads must be washed to dread thats all they ever need

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ashley Eve
@ashley-eve
13 years ago
43 posts

if i was you id just leave them alone from now on and let them do their own thing its alot less trouble, your roots will dread on their own if you let them it just takes a while

natural dreads don't need to be gross, random sizes or whatever you can control that without crocheting the crap out of your hair, just keep separating them (pull them apart if they start to stick to each-other) and wash them (I wash mine at least once a week some times more) if anyone tells you not to get your hair wet for 4 months in my opinion they are an idiot.

most dreadlocks that look like grime on your head are full of wax.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

umm

wait what?

u dont want to look like u dont wash you rather just..not wash?

our way we say wash today wash every few days

her way

dont wet it at all for 4 months

which will be grosser?

our way your dreads will be healthy happy anfd last a lifetime and require no effort at all

her way they will be severely damaged get messy every monmth so need extra work to fix them forever and eventualy be so weak they break

all you need to dread is nothing akll i did was go camping a couple weeks

its that simple you are being ripped off and your dreads ruined

crochrets a horible thing to do to dreads it really is

u should call her and demand your monry back

telling u not to wet them for 4 months is a scam

prevent them from dreading as long as u can so u can squeeeze every cent u can out of them

and yea they are nice to you

ecvery scammer is thats part of the scam

by the4 end of this u cabn spend over 1000 and have horible dreads

just fire her today wash wash wash wash

thats all

Gabriel Beauchemin said:

Thank you Jake, Exalthim, Laurent and Mellowstone. I think I knew I was going to receve these kind of answer. Maybe I wrote this post just to matoivate me to go the naturral way. the hard thing for me about stopping the porggram I begin is my personnality really. I will explain why: -first for me it's hard for me to say no to someone when I first say yes.

-second I am really stubborn. When i've an idea in my head, it's hard to remove it. Evevn if the natural way is for me so evident that is better, I still want to make the old method I was suppose to do till the end.

I think what i will do is to go see catherine (that I like a lot) next month as I what suppose to and explain all my present thoughts. I also want to hear what she will say to me. It,s a kind of compromy that is easier for me that juste called her now to say i won,t come to see her. That is really to hard for me.

Another question: do you think the fact that i've presently pretty much egal dreadlocks make my futur dreadlocks (if I neglect for the futur months or years) less mess-up? I mean when i see some neglect dreadlocks that are really gross in my opinion, with big-big one and some flat some roound, all sized and some that begin to glue themselves to the tips (dreadlcoks that look grime on your head) that scared me a bit. I don't want att all perfect dreadlocks but i don't want to look like I never wash myself you know haha. I mean, do my futur dreadlocks are gonna be the same i've right now?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Gabriel Beauchemin
@gabriel-beauchemin
13 years ago
50 posts

You know soaring eagle, she said to me, Iask 4 months withtout washingto secured herself of plaint of persons that didn't like the results. most of the persons these day want QUICK dreads and the natural methods is not for them. Most people wantfast (n months) dreads and they need to be perfect. you undersatnd tha Catherine is living of dreadlocks, and it's is the onlyy method for her to make moee and to help people to have dreads. In the occidental coountries, I can say to you that more than 80% of person with dreadlocks didn't use the natural way.

Soaring eagles, you must understand that it is not all the poeple who want dreadlocks that want to investitate their person as much as you. Most juste want totry a different haircut, not to live with a different livestyle as you. I Like Catherine and i found that hard that you call "her method" (which is pretty much her life right now) an horrible method.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form