Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My journey so far

Athena G
@athena-g
13 years ago
12 posts

I am approximately 10 or 11 days into my dreaded journey. I am using the natural method. My rules of thumb: KEEP IT CLEAN , KEEP IT DRY , AND SEPARATE . I have tried to separate my hair with ponytail holders, rubber bands, etc, and that was NOT a good idea. They just got stuck and mangled so I carefully had to cut them out. Not to mention the pressure and pull it was causing. So, I just rip the sections apart that I don't want to grow together and become one dread. I do that at least twice a day to make sure they do not grow together. When I go out I put it up into a ponytail, and it looks pretty cool with all the little tails. :3

The only downfall(s): As of right now I look, well, like I haven't brushed my hair in 10 or 11 days! *lol* Also, since the excess hair isn't getting brushed out, my scalp is a little more itchy than usual, so more frequent washing is needed than with my normal hair.

My inspiration(s): Quinne from SG. Whitney Mixter from The Real "L" Word. Any other chicks that rock dreads! ***Also a HUGE thank you to Soaring Eagle!!***

But mainly, I was deciding what I wanted to dress up as for Halloween. So upon browsing the Party City site, I find this: http://www.partycity.com/product/voodoo+dreads+wig.do?sortby=priceAscend&pp=100&size=all&navSet=170630

First I think, "Oh wow, that looks really cool." Then, "Oh...wow...that looks really fake..."

BUT, I decided then that I wanted REAL dreads, not just for a Halloween costume ensemble but as a regular look.

I'm pretty excited about this experience.

updated by @athena-g: 01/13/15 09:09:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dont seperate too often or your gonna prevent progress do u have dreads forming yet? if not then theres really nothing to seperate yet

what are y ou wahing with

that might help the itch if u ash with the right stuff

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
13 years ago
644 posts

Sounds like you have it covered :) hope you enjoy the journey! I used to separate mine religiously but now I just do it once every other day

Athena G
@athena-g
13 years ago
12 posts

Yes, I do have dreads forming. I was actually surprised at how fast and how well they are forming! :D I just separate them when I wake up and after I get out of the shower to avoid big clumps/congos. There is still a bit of loose hair, but for the most part it is coming together as dreads very well (I think/hope :P)

I wash with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutriton Shampoo and Conditioner during the weekend (when I'm at my moms) and Treseme Deep Cleansing Shampoo (only shampoo during the week to avoid oily build up) when I'm at home.

soaring eagle said:

dont seperate too often or your gonna prevent progress do u have dreads forming yet? if not then theres really nothing to seperate yet

what are y ou wahing with

that might help the itch if u ash with the right stuff

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u use those...and conditioner too and its dreading that fast?

thats real surprisu]i9ng those are meant to prevent dreads imagine how fast it will dread if u used a dread freindly 1

try the bakimg soda or dr bronners and see how fast it drereads

i would not condition for a year

--
Athena G
@athena-g
13 years ago
12 posts

I will definitely try those. :) I don't generally use conditioner cuz I have had issues with oily hair/scalp, but now I will stop using it all together. Thanks again for the helpful tips SE!!!

As for the Dr.Bronners soap...which should I use? The bars or liquid?
soaring eagle said:

u use those...and conditioner too and its dreading that fast?

thats real surprisu]i9ng those are meant to prevent dreads imagine how fast it will dread if u used a dread freindly 1

try the bakimg soda or dr bronners and see how fast it drereads

i would not condition for a year

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

liquid so u can dilute it 12 times mopre water then soap

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus