Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

bleaching dreads...

Kathryn
@kathryn
13 years ago
16 posts

okay so i have almost white bleached hair, and it is obviously not my natural color. my natural color is a dark brown. i used to go to a salon and get it done, but with my dreads i feel as though that it wouldn't be the right thing to go to a salon. soooo any advice on how i should go about dying/bleaching my roots?

updated by @kathryn: 02/03/18 05:14:16PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

let em grow out natural

u can go on touching up the roots but u do run the risk of damaging them its probly better to just let it grow out your natural color

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kathryn
@kathryn
13 years ago
16 posts

see i would just let it grow out naturally, but then i'm worried i would hate it and it would be a lot of work to dye it...

do your roots turn orange? do you use bleach at all?

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Why do you feel it wouldn't be right to get your hair touched up at a salon?

Kathryn
@kathryn
13 years ago
16 posts

too expensive, and i would be worried they would try to like comb my dreads out!

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

That is silly. You run alot of risks bleaching your hair alone. If you use bleach and get any of it on previously bleached hair and not just the roots you can have breakage. If you choose to lighten with a color, your have to be very sure that your hair will lighten without the use of bleach. That is why bleach was invented...not everyone can lighten with just color. And you need to have the knowledge to remove whatever you use at the right time so your roots match the rest. When the roots are covered in chemical they can look lighter than they actually are and you are removing it too soon...that is why some people walk around with yellow or orange areas at the root.Using a lightener is not like covering your roots with a dye...it is much tricky and worth a professional being involved. Because you are now dreading, if you lighten the hair incorrectly you run a huge risk of weakening the hair. Since damage to hair is cumulative, you may go on for awhile thinking you are fine until some dreads start breaking off. There are certain instances that need the attention of a professional and not ruining your hair can be worth the money. If you go to a real professional asking for a touch up ONLY, they should be happy to comply. Please reconsider doing this yourself :)

Katie Kendall
@katie-kendall
13 years ago
43 posts

i'm so glad that my boyfriend's mom is a licensed cosmetologist..she always does my hair when it comes to dyeing it..she usually just lightens my hair with color..

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Oh awesome! I was sooo worried...I din't want you to hurt your dreads :)

Katie Kendall said:

i'm so glad that my boyfriend's mom is a licensed cosmetologist..she always does my hair when it comes to dyeing it..she usually just lightens my hair with color..

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form