Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Mature dread length

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

I have been seeing a lot of pictures exposing hair shrinkage... I am just wondering [uh worried haha] about how long my hair might be when it starts to *really* dread. Right now it's about even with the middle of my shoulder blades. Should I be getting some pretty short ones? :/

updated by @heathen-hippie-o: 01/13/15 09:09:17PM
Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
It gets about half the length eventualy.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

how long wa it to start how lobg u been dreadin how much did it shrink already

but generaly if it was long to start it will shrink like crazy

probly will shrink a good bit dtill

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Half makes me happy. haha.

I stopped brushing/combing about a month ago, so there's a few fragile tangles at the ends of my hair and I can see at the scalp where it wants to separate, but that's it. It hasn't shrunk that I've seen, I just don't want it to end up getting *too* short. Lol. Me and Short Hair don't get along well. :D

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok its already semi short so im guesin 1/2 about

but if your going natural u might not notice any shrinig at all just not much growth for a year

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
I agree, I don't like how much mine has shrunk, my hair would be past my breasts...but its a little past my collar bones dreaded.
Kathleen
@kathleen
13 years ago
28 posts

Sara, I just came to therealization a few days ago too that my hair IS going to shrink. When I first decided to dread it I was completely naive thinking that it was just going to magically turn into dreads without knotting and it would stay close to the same length it was. For some reason, my mind had me believing that. Which would be difficult since knotting is how it works. ; )I am beyond the freaking out stage and into the oh well, I want dreads no matter what and if it shrinks short then so be it. If you want dreads for the rest of your life, it doesn't matter if it shrinks because you have a lifetime for it to grow after it matures. That's what I have come to realize. Plus, if you look at the peoples hair that had alot of shrinkage, they also have a head full of awesome thick wild dreads too, that will be very strong. Believe me, I still hope inside that they don't shrink to my ears, but even if I had a crystal ball that could tell me they would shrink to my ears, I would still let them keep dreading. I guess it comes down to how bad you want them. We are all in it together though and that should help.
: )

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

am i the only one on here that actually wants shrinking to happen? lol:) i'm sick of long hair and would gladly embrace some shortie dreads. plus i'm really looking forward to the thickening that the hair gets with shrinking. i have thin hair and would love to have thick, full hair for once.

Jeanna
@jeanna
13 years ago
20 posts

I was worried about shrinkage in the first few months. I had cut it to my shoulders, because I couldn't keep up with the tangles in my waist length hair. I didn't know that it would just dread if I quit. I think it was only a few weeks after that that I learned how hair dreads. I miss the length, and going even shorter was scary at the time. It's been about 9 months now, and it's mostly the same length as I started at. A couple of them have shrunk up to just 2 inches long. At some point I started welcoming shrinkage because I know that it is progress and someday it will grow long again. My hair is just past my shoulders, so similar to yours, but of course your shrinkage may vary. ;-)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form