Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

when will my dreadlocks grow?

Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts
I have had TnR dreadlocks for 15 months now. When i started my hair was at my shoulder blades in the back and breast level in the front and it has shrunk up to my ears with some wisps that hang to my chin--it is SHORT! My locks seem to be very tight and are maturing nicely. I have read here to expect anywhere from 1-3 years before locks are considered 'mature' and so I am expecting that, but when will they grow? I know that undreadlocked average hair growth is approx half an inch per month, but mine always grew at about double that. When will my hair start to grow again? It literally just keeps shrinking inot my head :( Please don't tell me not to 'worry' about it as I am not worried, just wondering what others experiences have been. So, like when I see people with dreadlocks down to their mid back are they all like 10+ years old?
updated by @mama-harrison: 01/13/15 09:08:57PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

do u seperate often enough that ypur not gathering all up at the roots?

i often feel like everytime i seperate i gain 1/4 to 1/2 inch just from seperation

but they should be growing round now really usualy 13 months about but yoir not much past that o it probly is starting to grow at a crawl at 1st but then will grow more normally soon after

technicaly its always been growing just shrinking faster so when its shrink as much as it can shrink akll it can do from there is grow and grow

it sounds like its shrunk to that point now and will be growing

pick 1 tight 1 as a sample dread

measure it every 30 days

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
Uh yea, dreads that long are five times older then ours. It's a slow process.
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

thanks SE--good idea to pick one and measure it--also i may dye my hair and then i would be able to tell for sure :)

Torie--yea, i am just now realizing this. i always thought if you started with long hair you had long dreadlocks, but now i realize that long MATURE dreadlocks are all like 5+ years old.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the longer the hair to start the more it shrinks ive seen waist length hair shrink to the ears

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts

My dreadlocks are almost 8 months old and they're going through shrinkage but just recently a lady I work with said she thought my dreadlocks looked like they were getting longer. Not sure if it's true or if she was just trying to make me feel better about my short dreadlocks but I do feel like they are slowly but surely gaining some length to them haha.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form