dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread a Wig?

Makyea
@makyea
13 years ago
13 posts

Hello everyone,

I want dreads.I think the style I want are partial dreads where the dreads are mixed with straight hair. Well I actually can't give myself real dreads for two reasons: My hair is cut short with longer bangs & I am joining the USMC in which I believe dreads are not allowed. So I am considering having a girl on etsy make me a super thick wig so I can just dread the wig and wear that when not doing USMC training. Is it possible to dread a wig? Do you guys have any suggestions?

updated by @makyea: 02/14/15 03:35:19AM
Makyea
@makyea
13 years ago
13 posts

Yeah she makes a lot of them. I made sure she was good cause I would hate to waste the money. I want to make the dreads in it by myself so I can treat them like my little babies.

I can't wait for the day when I can do my own :]

Andrea Schneider
@andrea-schneider
13 years ago
51 posts

i don't know about your questionn, but if you do plan to join the marines it might be pointless to dread a wig. once you are in the military you are trust to look a certian way from then on (like for men,,,collared shirts, belt, no facial hair except for mustache, and hair cut neatly) even though they are leanient on clothing. i don't know if you would be allowed to where a dreaded wig. that is something to ask a recruiter.

Makyea
@makyea
13 years ago
13 posts

I know I won't be able to wear it while in uniform, deployed, or during training but that is why I want a wig. So I can look the way I want when I am off "work". I can always just take it off to look uniform but put it back on to look how I want. Thanks Andrea for the warning though :]

Andrea Schneider
@andrea-schneider
13 years ago
51 posts

even when you are done with your days work you are required to keep a certain appearance. though, like i said they are pretty lenient as long as you are off base.

Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
13 years ago
87 posts

im confused at why you are wanting to do this. when you sign up for military you are then property of them. you may as well resign your sense of individuality. thats the whole point. even when you are out of uniform you are still their property and answer to them. a wig makes no sense. its a false representation. especially for the meaning of true dreads. you may not get the answers you are looking for on this board if you are wanting a purely temporary fashion statement.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dont sign up for the miliatary

problem solved

but the military will allow dreads if you get a religios exception

you have to collect signatures on a pettition for religios exception

but i would just not join if i was u

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
I think it's AWESOME that you want to serve...Thank you & God Bless and keep you safe']
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

Hey girl'] I have actually done this, I used a synthetic hair wig and it came out really awful. The "hairs" didnt want to tNr, so I backcombed them. It didnt look well at all. What I then did was learn how to make dreads with Kanelalon hair, and you need to backcomb and twist them really tight then steam them to set them. You can use a felting needle, too, but it's a lot of work. A human hair wig would be best if you are dreading them, but you'll still have to use a tiny crochet hook to get them matted up. It could be a fun project']

Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

That seems absolutely pointless. Why don't you just wait until you get out of the Marines? You may not even want them after that. Dreading is a lifestyle not a party accessory. I can not help but think that you would not benefit from dreading a wig unless you have Alopecia or cancer survivor.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form