Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

more hair on one side

BoomBiddyByeBye
@boombiddybyebye
13 years ago
13 posts
Hi all,This is my first post... Because I started my dreads two weeks ago:)So here's my story, my hair was about down to my lips before I dreaded my hair, slightly shorter around the sides and the back. I would of liked to wait for my hair to be a bit longer before starting, but I was getting irritated with my hair blowing in my eyes etc...so I wanted to find a hair salon that can backcomb for me, but couldn't find one, so I decided to do it myself without any help. Wish I had eyes at the back of my head but anyways.Ok, so first of all, I didn't really section my hair properly, just grabbed a group of hair that was close together and started. My dreads are definately not all the same size. But just to be clear.. I didn't really intend to have neat, systematic dreads, but rather more rustic looking. I am worried tho, that without me sectioning properly, some hair in one dread have roots near another, if you know what I mean.Another thing is that I have hairs that are part of a dread but are sort of loose..(All the hairs didint get notted when I backcombed.) I am not using any wax or anything, will these entangle eventually. I do palm roll quite often.Lastly,, strangely it seems to me that I have a lot more hair to work with on the left side compared to the right. The hair is the same length but the dreads are fewer and thinner. Why could this be? Also, I am white, but my hair is very thick and is quite curly.I apologise for the lengthly post, but I apreciate any advice. Thanx!
updated by @boombiddybyebye: 01/13/15 09:07:44PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

1 thank god u didnt go to a salon they woulda screwed u

2 lets see pics

3 the thinner ones are probly just how u did em the root area will determine the size eventialy and they will end up thicker not thinner

4 palm roll? whats that? why would u do that? do you need excersize?

5 yea u never had to backcomb so ofcourse the loos hairs will dread

6 u might need to seperate more often and thoroughly due to the sectioning but so what

7 lets see em how bigs your bigget section typicaly ppl who do it the way u diid make rediculously huge sections

8 thank god u didnt use wax

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
BoomBiddyByeBye
@boombiddybyebye
13 years ago
13 posts
Thanx for covering all my questions, what do you mean by number 5?Luckily I knew that I must be carefull not to make my dreads to thick.. I also prefer thinner ones. And also I got a huge head with PLENTY of hair so I thought I would rather have more bt thinner. I know I can probably find the answer to the next question but anyways... What the best to do for white hair if not palm rolling? Surely I must do something to get them to tighten and smoothen out? I will post pics tomorrow of the sizes of my sections. I haven't really bought any special shampoos, but I find my head starts to itch after a week of no washing.. Been looking on internet for what I can use to wash my hair, that a) doesn't leave residues and b) that isn't a speciality product that will coast me money.So at them moment I am using sodium bicarb to clean and then just a lil apple cider vinegar. Any thoughts on this? It seems to work quite well
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

baking soda )

(bicarb) is an excelent choice

no you do not nreed to palm roll or so anything and thats what i meant by number 5 you never needed to backcomb to dread

dreads happen by just not combing the hair

if all you did was lose your comb it would dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Andrea Schneider
@andrea-schneider
13 years ago
51 posts

palm rolling in my experienced has loosened my dreads. i stopped that shit right away. Baking soda is awesome!

michael said:

Thanx for covering all my questions, what do you mean by number 5?
Luckily I knew that I must be carefull not to make my dreads to thick.. I also prefer thinner ones. And also I got a huge head with PLENTY of hair so I thought I would rather have more bt thinner. I know I can probably find the answer to the next question but anyways... What the best to do for white hair if not palm rolling? Surely I must do something to get them to tighten and smoothen out? I will post pics tomorrow of the sizes of my sections. I haven't really bought any special shampoos, but I find my head starts to itch after a week of no washing.. Been looking on internet for what I can use to wash my hair, that a) doesn't leave residues and b) that isn't a speciality product that will coast me money.

So at them moment I am using sodium bicarb to clean and then just a lil apple cider vinegar. Any thoughts on this? It seems to work quite well
BoomBiddyByeBye
@boombiddybyebye
13 years ago
13 posts
What can I do to tame the frizz beast? I wanted to get pure aloe gek but I can't find it anywhere!! The closest thing I could find to a lock product was beeswax... And I realy don't think I should start putting that stuff in my hair. At the moment I'm putting nothing in.. Using no shampoos aswel. There's quite a bit of frizz.. Near the roots and around the dreads. What must I do? Just wait it out?
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
well, if you don't like the frizz then you probably shouldn't have done dreads. you are always going to have frizz and loose hair unless you do some serious over maintenance which most people on this board wouldn't even bother doing.as far as the hair being thinner and finer on one side, i've heard that your hair grows slower on the side you sleep on. something to do with putting pressure on the blood flow to the follicles.i think because you just randomly grabbed sections and backcombed that you'll be better off in the end. it will look more natural and you could always rip some of the larger ones later if you want smaller dreads.good luck:)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form