Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Straight, fine hair to natural dreads success stories please!

Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts
Hello all,I am about 3 months into what started as tnr and has become mostly natural (tnr's just keep falling out). I've got hardly any knots, save for the couple of tnr'd ones that have stayed in.So I'm just looking for some inspiration: for those with fine, straight hair, did the natural method work for you on it's own? I see lots of people on here with thick/curly hair and they seem to get knotty much quicker than others. Did it take longer than a year to see some mature locks?Thank you!!
updated by @ash-t: 02/14/15 09:40:46AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

some fine straight hair does dread slow some dreads very fast

it varies alot

but it will dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts

Thanks so much Craig. Did you ever do twist and rip or back comb to get the knots going? I'm trying to stay away from doing more tnr because they just seem to fall out.

Thanks Soaring Eagle, your site has been so great in helping me find the most natural ways to (hopefully) future dreads. It is hard to wait to see results sometimes, I wanted dreads for about five years before finally deciding to go for them a few months ago.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u waitted 5 year s to start a year to get there wont be that long

id definateky try the sea salt and sleeping on wool thing

and

beads

beads will help u alot

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

I stopped combing my hair only only six weeks ago and already have some well-defined dreads forming at the back and on the top, where the layers were shortest. I say this not to boast but to assure people that the neglect/natural way does work. My hair is straight and fine and, like yours, TNR fell out immediately. I wrap a wool jumper around my pillow and spray on sea salt every so often. If your hair takes longer,don't get discouraged. The only thing I can suggest is, try not to fiddle with it or pull it apart to see how it's going - you might accidently pull out the knots you are looking for.

My only problem is every morning finding loose hairs attaching themselves from all sides to the baby dreads. Like a spider's web holding them down. To free the dreads I have to tug the hairs out carefully. Does anyone else find this?

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i have very fine, thin, slightly wavy hair. when i started neglect my hair was so soft that it took a good 5 - 6 months to start dreading. t&r and backcombing doesn't hold in my hair either thats why i went neglect. plus i was too worried the first time around about the sections and such. it will happen it just takes longer than most people. i'm 10 months now and things are progressing really well. i have tons of knots and loopies. i still have a bunch of unknotted hair too but i'm okay with it. i'm in it for the long haul and it will happen eventually. everyones hair will knot it just may take longer for some of us:)

hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

Just saw your latest photos and I'm impressed. Love the cluster of colored beads!

Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts

Very true about waiting, I am just SO glad that I didn't end up paying someone to wax my hair like I was about to do 5 years ago. I have been using more and more beads and they are definitely helping; I even have one tnr dread that I put a bead in when I first ripped them that is still intact!

soaring eagle said:

u waitted 5 year s to start a year to get there wont be that long

id definateky try the sea salt and sleeping on wool thing

and

beads

beads will help u alot

Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts

Thank you! I am having fun with the beads, I wonder sometimes if they aren't letting the knots form enough by leaving the hair loose, but they seem to be helping.

hippiegal said:

Just saw your latest photos and I'm impressed. Love the cluster of colored beads!

Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts

Thank you Heather, I really love your hair and it's so cool to see the progress you've made. It's so nice to have found this community to hear other people's experiences in the natural method, keeps me away from flea combs for sure. =)

Heather said:

i have very fine, thin, slightly wavy hair. when i started neglect my hair was so soft that it took a good 5 - 6 months to start dreading. t&r and backcombing doesn't hold in my hair either thats why i went neglect. plus i was too worried the first time around about the sections and such. it will happen it just takes longer than most people. i'm 10 months now and things are progressing really well. i have tons of knots and loopies. i still have a bunch of unknotted hair too but i'm okay with it. i'm in it for the long haul and it will happen eventually. everyones hair will knot it just may take longer for some of us:)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form