Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

3 Months in... Should my dreads look like dreads?

Marissa
@marissa
13 years ago
7 posts

Hello! I finally decided that I wanted dreads awhile back, and then I started doing the twist and rip method (but no wax or anything) and finished April 5th. For the first month I would mess with themtrying to keep the ends dreaded and putting beads on them and stuff like that. But after a month, I pretty much stopped doing all that and just started seperating congos when theyform at the base of my neck. Now I just do that and wash them with baking soda and vinegar once every 2 weeks. And sometimes I swim in salt water.

I know that about 9 times out of 10 when people ask about their dreads on here the answer is that they're doing fine, but I knew I'd worry about mine until I posted my own pictures and asked! I'm hoping they're just at a "have to get worse before they get better" stage, but the top layer has pretty much stopped even resembling dreads and just looks like I really need to grab a hair brush.

P.S. My bangs are not dreaded because the y were pretty short when I started, but everything else is supposed to be. There are a lot of loose pieces in the front for some reason , which is mainly why it just looks messy instead of like dreads.

So here are some pictures, and just please let me know if it looks like I'm on the right track for 3 months! And any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

** I'm also leaving in a month to do mission work for about five months and I'm going to need something bottled to wash my dreads with since that's easier to take around than baking soda, vinegar, and a big enough container to mix it in. Any suggestions on a dread shampoo or something like that for newish dreads?

They look a little better when I pull my bangs and sides up

updated by @marissa: 02/14/15 05:44:50AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

they are doin fine :) typical to be that loose around 3 months then start to tighten up

maybe reduce or stop the acv and add sea salt more often and should see things improve in the next month

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Marissa
@marissa
13 years ago
7 posts
Alright, good to hear! Thanks!Could you suggest a soap or shampoo that I could use for them while I'm gone? Do you think that I could add sea salt to a shampoo?
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
Hi Sweetie'] How COOL that you are going on a mission trip! God bless and keep you safe--LOTS of fruit!! As for adding sea salt to the shampoo, that's what I do; I fill about 1/4 bottle with clarifying shampoo (just vo5)fill the rest with water and add about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp sea salt, then shake. I also do the same recipe with baking soda, but use about a teaspoon of that. I really like the way it leaves my hair. I alternate the sea salt and BS washes, I wash 2-3 times a week.
Marissa
@marissa
13 years ago
7 posts

Thanks! :-)

Next time I'm at Walmart I'll pick up some clarifying shampoo and then add your water and sea salt mix to part of it. That'll be much easier to carry around pre-made!

Marissa
@marissa
13 years ago
7 posts

Thanks for the recommendation! I thought about crocheting them when I first started, but then I decided to let them do their own thing. And since I'm about to be leaving to do mission work I don't think I'll have much free time to work on them. But I will look into dreadhead shampoo! I heard about it when I first started my dreads, but then I forgot about it. :-p Thanks again! :-)

ElaurenG
@elaureng
13 years ago
19 posts
Marissa you are glowing! And I like the half up/half down pic.I bet after 5 months of mission work, spreading love around, you are going to have some wonderful dreading going on! I can't wait to see them when you return. Plus with your focuson more important things, it will hopefully make the whole dread waiting period seem to go faster.Prayers & Blessings to you!
Marissa
@marissa
13 years ago
7 posts
Thank you thank you! :-) Yeah, I'm hoping that everyone will be surprised by some extremely improved dreads when I get back!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

thats actualy a very bad idea thats why yours are so stiff and way too tight they will take 6 months to recover

and u should be washing henm way more often

Kat Chapman said:

Hey Marissa!

They are doing OK and you don't need to worry too much as dreads are like a on-going project! They will sort themselves out.

However, if you did want to tighten them up a bit, the first thing you will need is a tiny little crochet hook. You can get these from any good craft store. I would say no more than a 0.5 size (the smallest you can get)

Then you need to take each dread and push the needle through them working from one side to the other until you have a bulge of notty hair hanging out one side......then, turn your dread in between your fingers and work the little devil from the other side so that the bulgy bit is pulled back in.

After you have done this a few times your dread will be as tight as can be and you can start working down the length of it! Be careful as you can stab your thumb with the hook and that is a bit painful but with time you get used to doing it and your injuries will become less frequent! lolol! It is a labour of love but the results are greeeeatt!!

I have a pic of my dreads after I did this method on them, this was taken 1 hour after I had put them in using this method.

You asked about Shampoo. I would always use DreadHead shampoo. Its a bit pricy but its really good and your dreadies feel squeeky clean after washing them. Or if, like me, you are a bit skint, just give um a good old scrubbin with plain water. I haven't washed mine with shampoo now for about a month and they are doing just fine. Good LUCK on your epic journey and lots of hugs XX

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dreadheahd shampoo sucks it will cause dandruff

Marissa said:

Thanks for the recommendation! I thought about crocheting them when I first started, but then I decided to let them do their own thing. And since I'm about to be leaving to do mission work I don't think I'll have much free time to work on them. But I will look into dreadhead shampoo! I heard about it when I first started my dreads, but then I forgot about it. :-p Thanks again! :-)

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form