Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thinking of dreading, yet unsure.

Emilee F.
@emilee-f
13 years ago
12 posts

Hello. I'm new here and I've never had dreads. I really want to dread my hair, though I'm unsure and wary of a few things. My hair is very fine, silky, and pencil straight. I keep reading about the neglect method of dreading hair, but I've been neglecting my hair for months, not for the purpose of forming dreadlocks, but simply because I find it too long to brush and comb. Nothing close to a dread has formed, but I do wash my hair at least 3 times a week. If I wanted to go the natural way, would I have success? I also would like more immediate results rather than waiting a month or more.

What I'm wary of is that if I decide to comb out my dreads (I'm young and indecisive), I'll be left half bald since I already have such fine hair.

I love reading about everyone's experiences forming dreads, and I'm sure I'll be convinced to dread my hair within the next few days.

updated by @emilee-f: 01/13/15 09:04:56PM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i have soft, fine hair too. it took a lot of time for my hair to start to knot naturally. i'm happy with how its finally doing it but knowing what i know now with how my hair hates to knot i probably would've t&r my hair after it naturally sectioned itself a couple months in. t&r is the least damaging of the starter methods and probably the easiest to remove if you have second thoughts. you put it in using your hands and you can undo it using your hands too. no comb or harsh tools required. maybe do a couple and see how you like it. if it's not for you then just unravel them and move on:)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

what are u washing with and how and do u fingercomb most times theres just some factor still preventing dread and changing 1 habbit makes alotta difference but twist and rips an option as well

if u dread u will never want to be without dreads

if u comb em out u go through dread loss depression and very likely will be dreading again within a year

so keep that in mind if u decide to dread chances are u will be dreaded a very long time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Emilee F.
@emilee-f
13 years ago
12 posts
I wash with just whatever shampoo is in the shower. Usually some suave product. And I suppose I do run my fingers through my hair still. I'm thinking about starting with just a few and working my way to fully dreaded hair.

soaring eagle said:

what are u washing with and how and do u fingercomb most times theres just some factor still preventing dread and changing 1 habbit makes alotta difference but twist and rips an option as well

if u dread u will never want to be without dreads

if u comb em out u go through dread loss depression and very likely will be dreading again within a year

so keep that in mind if u decide to dread chances are u will be dreaded a very long time

Emilee F.
@emilee-f
13 years ago
12 posts

Thank you! This is helpful. I did one tiny little last night using the t&r method, and I love looking down and seeing it there.
It's quite a frizzy dread, however, and in some spots it's much looser than most of it. This sounds pretty normal judging by what I've read on here, and I'm assuming it'll change?

Heather said:

i have soft, fine hair too. it took a lot of time for my hair to start to knot naturally. i'm happy with how its finally doing it but knowing what i know now with how my hair hates to knot i probably would've t&r my hair after it naturally sectioned itself a couple months in. t&r is the least damaging of the starter methods and probably the easiest to remove if you have second thoughts. you put it in using your hands and you can undo it using your hands too. no comb or harsh tools required. maybe do a couple and see how you like it. if it's not for you then just unravel them and move on:)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

sauve and most shamooos are designed o prevent dreads and u gotta keep your hands out

and yea they get better slowly

--
Emilee F.
@emilee-f
13 years ago
12 posts

What shampoo should I use? Or how should I wash my hair?

Another thing, when I'm on this site I hear a noise like bloo-BLOOP! What is that?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

the chat bottom of every page click where it says dreadlocks forums chat | 21 on line

u can try the baking soda deep cleanse or dr bri=onners (diluted 12-1) or in our shioips theres serveral options i like maylees alot

i might try th others when i run out

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form