Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dr. Bronners question

Rosie Ford
@rosie-ford
13 years ago
12 posts

Okay, I don't have dreadlocks yet- my hair IS a bit longer than in my pic, though. It's time to definitely start making sure I'm doing the right stuff so my hair will lock up as it grows out. Anyway, I want to use Dr. Bronners. I've tried it a couple times here and there but every time I use it my hair comes out all... greasy. Not, like, at the scalp like I'm producing the grease, but the entire length of my hair has a crazy sticky greasy film on it. It feels like it has a whole lot of hair product in it or something- it will stay where I put it, it's so sticky, like it has pomade in it... It's hard to describe. Anyway, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there's something I can do differently. Perhaps an apple cider vinegar rinse would help, get the residue off? Or am I just stuck using baking soda forever? I've tried dilluting the Dr. Bronners in a cup of water, but it does the same thing. Anyone have this happen to them, or know what I can do?

Any advice anyone has is appreciated! Much love.

updated by @rosie-ford: 02/14/15 07:48:57AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

its your hard water

no soaps will work in hard water only detergents

options

1. dilute rinse water
  2. add borax to the bronners to make it act like a detergent
  3. switch to a dread soap that works in hard water
  4. move to somewhere that dont have hard water

bronners in regular waters incredibly easy to rinse

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

Hard water makes washing options difficult. Try a regular store bought shampoo that is residue free. Kiss my Face brand is available at walmart. I try to avoid that place, but it is sold at my local health food store too. It cleans well, is residue free and affordable.

Rosie Ford
@rosie-ford
13 years ago
12 posts
Oh, I didn't know that city water could be hard water, I always thought it was just well water that was. That explains it!I'll try the Kiss My Face stuff. I've seen some other people on here talk about it too, so it must be good stuff. We don't have a Walmart here, thank the gods, but I've seen it at the health food store.Thanks guys!...Wait, does this mean that Dr. Bronners is doing something scary to my skin too and I just haven't noticed?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
is your skin feelin sticky>

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rosie Ford
@rosie-ford
13 years ago
12 posts
Nope.
Lunatic
@lunatic
13 years ago
24 posts
Are you using the liquid Dr. Bronners? I've heard that the one in solid form (bar shampoo) works better in hard water, altough I haven't tried it yet.
Rosie Ford
@rosie-ford
13 years ago
12 posts
Yeah, it's liquid... My roommate uses it on his hair and he says it works great. So that's weird.
Lunatic
@lunatic
13 years ago
24 posts

The only thing i could think of is the amount that he puts on is smaller or he dillutes it more. Though the problem is probably hard water, that makes the soap really hard to rinse. I recommend you to try the one in a bar.

Good luck!

Rosie Ford
@rosie-ford
13 years ago
12 posts

Yeah, he doesn't dilute it at all, he just uses it. I have very fine hair, though, and he has very course hair. So perhaps that's it.

Couldn't find Kiss My Face shampoo anywhere... And I don't know what "residue free" means. None of the bottles anywhere say that, and I have spend way longer than I ever wanted to in shampoo aisles lately, reading bottles.

I'm just gonna stick with baking soda. It's cheap and it does the job damn well. Thanks for all your advice anyway, guys!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form