Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sif goes feral!

Sif Zangbo
@sif-zangbo
13 years ago
4 posts

I'm about three weeks into my natural dreads journey. I can't believe how quickly things are coming along! My hair has always clumped together really quickly, and I've spent the last god knows how long having to brush my hair several times a day to keep it looking decent. I'm not curly, but I do have a definite wave and my hair is SUPER thick and dense. I've had dreadies start in my hair many times - every time we've gone camping up the river or I've spent a few lazy days on the beach they just spring right up. In recent years I've been embracing my natural self, and dreads are the next step. I kept finding baby dreads in my hair in the morning, and would have to spend ages brushing them out every day. I finally just decided that if that's what my hair is telling me it wants, then that's what I'm going to do.

So here goes! Sorry about the dodgy picture quality in most of the photos, I'll try to get some decent ones when I can.

So here's a few from the brushing days, so you get a feel for what I started with:

First few days:

You can see how much it had clumped already. I stuck a bead in just for fun - pulled apart an old necklace to get it :)

Just over a week in:

Start of week 2:

End of week three - seriously knotted. I have to keep ripping my hair apart, it seems to be intent on becoming just one giant knot. I've got a few more beads from an Etsy store, hoping that will help to keep them separated a bit.

The bad quality of the photos make my hair seem a little further along than it really is I think. I've got a lot of loopy madness at the back, but the front is quite loose - it's clumped as you can see but doesn't actually have many knots, most of it is still fairly smooth hair.

I have a LOT of hair that seems to be determined to stay loose and free, so there's a bit of a halo of frizz around my head. I know it'll settle down in it's own time.

So far my maintenance has been sipping on endless cups of chai each morning and evening while my lovely Nombe separates the knots out into their new "homes". I've been washing every few days (just sort of squeezing my hair under the faucet, no rubbing) with an all natural rosemary shampoo bar. I also lazed about in a big bath of chamomile tea - not sure if it did anything, but goddamn it felt gooooood. I've used BS/ACV in the past, but have found that if I do it to regularly it dries out my scalp too much. Now I just drink the ACV and reap the benefits internally.

I am SO in love my hair right now! Like never before :)

updated by @sif-zangbo: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts
awesome your off to a great start :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
Your hair looks amazing and is progressing so quickly! It's perfect!
Huallacanes
@huallacanes
13 years ago
4 posts
Yes They Do Look Amazing! Hugs And Blessing..
Sif Zangbo
@sif-zangbo
13 years ago
4 posts

Thanks all. Here's few of the back, I think I'm going to start doing a few wraps to make them a little more interesting. That won't slow my progress too much will it? Very frizzy, but they're quite tight in a few spots and I have some awesome loopies!

Peace xx

updated by @sif-zangbo: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form