Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The Journey of Dreads

R.
@r
13 years ago
4 posts

Hello currently I'm growing out my hair so I can get dreadlocks, my hair is about 3 inches now and it's very curly and thick because I'm half black. I am probably going to wait til it's about 3 more inches to dread it.

I am wanting to get thin dreads similar to this, now I know he most likely just goes to the salon for his dreads and has to constantly keep retwisting, but what more natural method would be easiest to get thin dreads like this?

Also I was semi practicing the twist and rip method on a part of my hair, and I don't know if I was doing it wrong or what, which I probably was, but it was just sorta floating really instead of falling down. Does it just take a while for dreads to be effected by gravity, or what? Is was also still curly so I'm guessing I could of just did it wrong.

Also I was wondering if the essential oils that were reccomended to wash dreads with could be used with non dreaded hair as well?

Anyway thanks for all the help I'm sure to get :).

updated by @r: 01/13/15 09:04:24PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dont do it so tight and it wont "float"

and yea u can start using them now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
R.
@r
13 years ago
4 posts
Alright thanks, and how large would you suggest the sections to be since I want them to be pretty thin?
BONES2
@bones2
13 years ago
45 posts
Have u tried wool rubbing? thats works great on african textured hair. they might come out a bit fatter than u want though
R.
@r
13 years ago
4 posts
No I haven't really tried anything, just messing around with the twist and rip while I was doing college work. But yeah I want them pretty thin and really neat. I don't even know if I can get them that neat and thin naturally, but idk.
BONES2
@bones2
13 years ago
45 posts
with yr hair type I wouldn't bother with T&R cos yr be able to get great dreads without it. my daughter's are mixed race thier mum has a permanent battle to stop it dreadin !! I just tell her to let it dread but she won't allow it :(
R.
@r
13 years ago
4 posts
Well I don't want to do the neglect method since I'm wanting it so neat and thin and I know it wouldn't be able to do that with neglect, right?
BONES2
@bones2
13 years ago
45 posts
with afro hair yr dreads are gonna be pretty neat anyway, just keep them separated if u don't want them to congo and get thick. Thats my opinion anyhow, check out some vids on tube with yr hair type to get a rough idea how they'll turn out. If I had yr hair type I wouldn't even consider any other method but it's yr decission at the end of the day. Good luck
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form