Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

twisting.

average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts
So since I've joined this site i have been trying to just expand my own knowledge about dreadlocks in general. there doesn't seem to be many people here that have had my past experiences with dreads. the general consensus seems to be natural or nothing when it comes to dreading methods. i understand how going natural and allowing your hair to lock up on its own has benefits, but i choose a different method. this is my second set of dreads. first ones i had for 6 years. i was a teen so of course best care wasn't always taken in maintaining them. now on my second set i've been at it for a year and a half. so thats 7 and a half years with locks under my belt with never having a problem of my hair breaking off, scalp damage, or weak locks. my texture plays a big part in that, and i understand some people just don't have as strong hair, roots, locks etc and putting stress on their head might not be best.im going to continue to twist for maintenance and update. this would probably make soaring eagle rip his locks out(lol) but my loctician said my hair texture/type is so strong/thick that if i wanted to i could go in for a retwist every two weeks. now i know yall gon say she just wants the money, but she tells people with weaker hair to wait like a month, month and a half or longer before coming back in, and i've known her for a long time now and know she's not all about money.
updated by @average-joe: 01/13/15 09:04:21PM
Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
13 years ago
87 posts
:(:( You seem angry. Why did you have to start a second set. What went wrong with the first set?
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts
haha im not angry at all. i ended my first set due to a lot of factors. i can be impatient and once my dreads started getting a lot of length(after like three years) i used to hate getting people to twist my hair and it taking 2 to 3 hours then sitting under a hair dryer for an hour or more. due to my carelessness and lack of knowledge my dreads were starting to get filled with lots of dust,lint, etc that just seemed to get worse if you tried picking it out. i had so many on my head. when i cut them off i counted them and i had 210 dreadlocks all at least 20 inches or longer, so it just seemed to be hassle. with me being young i also wanted to try different hairstyles, but having locks sorta prevented me from that. if i went swimming and didn't have a professional blowdryer around it would take up to a whole day for my locks to air dry, or a few hours of killing my wrist and holding a normal blowdryer to my head trying to dry them. i just wanted to redo them this time the right way.now i have next to no lint in my hair, i don't use beeswax at all, i have a consistent loctician i go to that at the most takes an hour to twist my hair(fairly fast compared to others in the past), and i know a lot more about my hair now. i often times wish i didn't cut my first set of locks due to the time and money put into them and just to see how long they'd be now, but im better off now after restarting them.once again in not angry :) and thanks for replying.
BONES2
@bones2
13 years ago
45 posts
haha each to our own and all that, thats cool by me but u say u get impatient when u had to maintain yr locks when they got longer so wouldn't it of been less hassle in fact no hassle at all if you just let them grow with no maintanence except separating them? It would do my head right in havin to go through that every few weeks. Not knockin you ... just saying man :)
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts

BONES said:
haha each to our own and all that, thats cool by me but u say u get impatient when u had to maintain yr locks when they got longer so wouldn't it of been less hassle in fact no hassle at all if you just let them grow with no maintanence except separating them? It would do my head right in havin to go through that every few weeks. Not knockin you ... just saying man :)
hah i see your point but back then when i started(10th grade) i didn't know anything about going natural, and by the time they got long i was use to someone twisting them for me for maintenance. and yeah separating would have been a huge hassle if i went that route though. my hair is really kiny, so after a few weeks they'd clump together at the roots and id have to pull and rip them apart and sometimes use a scissor to separate. going natural seems like id have to separate more often than i do now.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form