Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just dreaded my hair

Brent Elder
@brent-elder
13 years ago
18 posts
The excuse: I have to be a Pirate in 3 months (from the time of dreading), but my parents are threatening my with an electric razor if they don't start looking better (my dad is bald so he doesn't quite get the whole 'progress' thing). I dreaded it on June 1st using twist and rip, and wash daily with Ivory soap and have some questions:1) Does why does the shampoo have to be residue free? I am not doubting, I am just curious.2) Some people say that if soap is scented, it has residues; but if so, then why is Dr. Bronners scented?3) Mine are getting stuck together. I am not pulling them apart because everything I have read says to let them do their thing and I fully intend to do this, but, is this avoidable?4) I have to wear a nylon hair net under a company hat with my hair in a pony tail. Will this make it dreads grow weird or impede them in any significant way? It seems like it is matting the roots together, which, I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing.5) I have to walk to work and it is often very hot and windy. Will the wind help them lock up faster?6) They say that washing dreads loosens them (unless they are mature), and many (especially on here) say that dreads are going to loosen before they tighten; so, by the transitive property, would it stand to reason that washing your hair more would lead to locking up faster?7) I went swimming in a saline pool and it seemed to do my dreads some good (so good, in fact, that they are sticking together and flattened that night when I slept on them <---sarcasm, yet truth). Is there a way to get that nice tangling without them huddling together for warmth? It even took the frizz down a notch.8) Bought a crochet hook but haven't used it yet. Should I?Sorry for the bombardment but I just want to know because mine are really coming apart and I am hoping that is just how it works at first.
updated by @brent-elder: 02/05/18 03:41:41AM
Brent Elder
@brent-elder
13 years ago
18 posts
Just looked at the area that is stuck together and every one in the back of my head os REALLY stuck together. I am actually a little worried.Please tell me that this is progress and will fix it
Brent Elder
@brent-elder
13 years ago
18 posts
Well, I am going to be a pirate, not a model. They aren't exactly known for having the cleanest doo. I just want them semi decent by then.As far as the ones stuck together, they will have to be cut apart to get them separated.
Jesse Parker
@jesse-parker
13 years ago
57 posts
How long have the been growing together? If not a long long time, they can ususaly be pulled apart when the are wet they say to use olive oil to help but cutting is bad.
Brent Elder
@brent-elder
13 years ago
18 posts
Since Wednsday morning, so three days by the time I take my next shower. I will try to work them apart as much as possible but they look like a spider web right now.
Brent Elder
@brent-elder
13 years ago
18 posts

CRISISAVERTED!!! I took a closer look in a better mirror and saw that they are splitting and joining in different places. The roots are all sorts of fucked up from this (they are intertwining) but I see this as great forward progress! Will make sure to keep them separated from about the halfway point down, which is pretty easy since I was them individually.

Brent Elder
@brent-elder
13 years ago
18 posts
Actually... they are all splitting. I am sort of worried again.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok never ever crochet throw that away

u want to seperate them clean to the scalp keeop them seperated as good as you can

the roots are going to be loose and seeming to split thats fine

lets see some pics

change to a dread shampoo ivorty is goig to leave soap scum in your hair..yuck

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kai Rayne
@kai-rayne
13 years ago
72 posts
Just so you know, your tnr "dreads" WILL come undone after a little while. When that happens, just leave them be and they will dread back up on their own. I had tnr dreads for a lil over a month and they came undone but now my hair is starting to dread naturally. Go look in the FAQ for some awesome tips which would answer about half of your questions if not more. :) Happy dreading! :)
Brent Elder
@brent-elder
13 years ago
18 posts
What is a shampoo what I can get in walmart?
updated by @brent-elder: 07/23/15 03:46:47AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form