Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

De- Dreading

jenna
@jenna
13 years ago
11 posts

About six months ago, maybe longer, I posted a topic about combing out my dreads. I think almost every single response was negative and stated it was impossible because my dreads were too tight, i didn't wash my hair enough and because i crocheted them a bit.

Before:

After:

I had 27 dreads. I had crocheted them, not washed them and pretty much did not take too much care of them except for when I was crocheting them together. They were in for about a year and were locked pretty well.

It took a little over a month of strict determination and a pick comb.
I grabbed some apple cider vinegar and washed it everyday for about two weeks prior to beginning the process. Also used coco butter as a natural conditioner. It was surprisingly easier to comb out with dry hair. Some dreads took nine hours, others took as little as forty five minutes.

Yes, I miss them but my neck feels so much better. I may do it again just because I now know that I can comb them out, who knows. I ended up inspiring a friend to comb hers out, she had them in for three years. She was also successful.

When I got a haircut the stylist was surprised at how healthy my hair turned out to be after so much wear n' tear.

It can be done. I was thinking the entire time, "what takes longer, waiting for your hair to grow out or combing these damn things out?!"

updated by @jenna: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Monte Jackson
@monte-jackson
13 years ago
34 posts
indeed great job :)
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts
Ive heard that soaking dreads in conditioner and then combing them yields great results.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form