Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Oily OIly Hair

Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts
So my twist and rip dreads are about 10 days old, and I've been under the impression that I shouldn't be washing them too much but my hair and skin are SO naturally oily. I was trying to go a few days between washing, but I just can't wait that long. I've been doing a simple baking soda and tea tree oil rinse daily, skipping a day when I can, but does anyone else wash their dreads every day? Is this potentially "bad" for my new baby dreads in any way?
updated by @ash-t: 01/13/15 09:02:45PM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i wash my hair every other day. its good to keep them clean and oily free so they will knot up. your hair will get used to it over time. i had oily hair too when i started but now at 8 months i can easily go 3 days before needing to wash. i wouldn't wash it everyday because if it doesn't have enough time to dry between washings then you could develop mold.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

if u wash daily iu will be oily if your doing baking soda rinses daily that is washing

skip a day

then 2

then 3

try to get down to 1-23 times aweek 1-3 max

this way u will get less and less oily

asdd sea salt

skip the acv

as u wash less u get less oily

add thyme thyme tea or oil

will help u prioduce less oils

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts
Thank you so much, I will add sea salt to the wash and start skipping a day.
Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
13 years ago
79 posts
the oiliness can be from not using regular shampoos that strip out all the natural oils from your hair so it your hair might be adjusting to those shampoos anymore or it is naturally oily
Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts

I've been washing my hair with non-residue soaps and straight baking soda for years, along with trying many other types of shampoos and home remedies such as lemon juice,vinegar, etc. I've spent a lot of money on expensive products to keep the oil under control; baking soda has always been the best I've come across for my hair. The only time I've been able to skip more than one day without washing is when my hair was bleached blonde; then I could go once a week and get by just fine. My hair is all natural now, no dyes or chemicals at all, and I gave up on conditioning years ago. It's naturally oily, as is my skin, as is my mother's hair and skin, and she turned 50 this year.

I just wondered if anyone washes their locks every day. I can see not washing them daily for fear of mold developing if they are not dried properly, but the breakouts I get from not washing every day or every other day are not so great either.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it takes time to adjust if u wash every 2 days till u get to where its just getting oily the morn u wash then go 1 more day slowly it adjusts to being washed less so slowly stops producing so much oils

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form