dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

them roots

stephen samuels
@stephen-samuels
13 years ago
9 posts

hi

i am new to this site and have only had my dreads for about 2 months i was wondering what the best way to dread the roots as they grow?

and any ideas how to tidy up the fuzzy hair down the side of the dread?

any good advice will be much appreciated... =]

updated by @stephen-samuels: 01/13/15 09:02:32PM
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

loose roots are normal. You don't have to do anything for the roots to knot up. Roots will form knots just by letting your hair move around freely. Baby dreads can have up to 3" of undreaded roots. Mature dreads will have less. If your roots are dreaded all the way to the scalp, they will have a stiffer appearance, have less movement. and stick out from the scalp more. Just leave it be.

The fuzzy hair down the side of the dread just needs to be left alone. As your dreads mature they will look and feel less fuzzy. You got em started, now all you have to do is leave em alone. Time is the only thing that will really work for both issues.

stephen samuels
@stephen-samuels
13 years ago
9 posts
thanks for the advice i thought time would be the answer....

taye said:

loose roots are normal. You don't have to do anything for the roots to knot up. Roots will form knots just by letting your hair move around freely. Baby dreads can have up to 3" of undreaded roots. Mature dreads will have less. If your roots are dreaded all the way to the scalp, they will have a stiffer appearance, have less movement. and stick out from the scalp more. Just leave it be.

The fuzzy hair down the side of the dread just needs to be left alone. As your dreads mature they will look and feel less fuzzy. You got em started, now all you have to do is leave em alone. Time is the only thing that will really work for both issues.

taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
I forgot to welcome you to the site :( so WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Lexz Luv
@lexz-luv
13 years ago
74 posts

WELCOMEEEEE!!!!! Im lexz! I use Aloe or sometimes a mix of essential oils to calm the frizzzzzz! It seems to work best if you put it in when your hair is wet and let it hair dry!

XO Lexz

Monte Jackson
@monte-jackson
13 years ago
34 posts
alot of people say to ignore the loose roots but sometimes that can be hard to do. a trick i learned is to place your dread between your pointer finger and middle finger at the base of the root and squeeze it to hold it in place.then pull all of your loose hairs up along the dread and place your free hand with your pointer and middle finger around the dread also. with your top hand, push down and go in a counter clockwise motion about 7 or 8 times with a little speed but not too much as this would cause alot of friction and damage. ill find a vid link also. my description maybe hard to follow lol www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1QsXEVQEzU it may also be under pinch rolling dreadlocks
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
That is not the best thing to do....it is called root rubbing. It can break hair off at the scalp and can lead to serious dread thinning. I would highly advise against it.
Choppah
@choppah
13 years ago
20 posts
ye i did it a long time ago.. complete waste of time.. last place to mess around is the roots
stephen samuels
@stephen-samuels
13 years ago
9 posts
thanks for the welcomes and the advice, its good to heareveryone's opinion thisdefinitely seems the place to find the answers
Monte Jackson
@monte-jackson
13 years ago
34 posts
it works really well for my texture of hair and locks almost instantly but you do have to be careful. find a technique that works best for you.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form