Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need a little help

Andrew Hughes
@andrew-hughes
13 years ago
5 posts

Ok first I am about to begin the DREAD JOURNEY! I cant wait been growing my hair for a long time 6-8 months.

Now I have to either use TnR or Backcombing only because I cant go natural because of my job. Now I want thicker dreads I do not like thin dreads idk why just dont. What kind of sectioning am I looking at for thicker dreads and which method is better for this.

Also, My girl friend thought she was helping me out and suprised me with the Knottyboy whole package thing. Lucky for me I found you guys first. I know she was trying to help so didnt want to be mean but no way am I using wax. Can I use the spray,shampoo, pepper or any ofthe products or are they all no no's.

thanks

updated by @andrew-hughes: 01/13/15 09:01:50PM
Brandy :]
@brandy
13 years ago
106 posts
Hello and Welcome my friend! glad you've found the light :) well i TnR'd one of my babies last night (im taking the natural route, if i dont decide to TnR the rest, which i think TnR is considered a natural way also, but i believe it should be classified as a natural method. anyways rant over) and it turned out really nice and i love it, ive seen lots of beautiful fatty dreads that were produced by the TnR method soooo I do believe this will be the best way for you :) BACKCOMBING= DEATH to hair.lol its extremely bad for your hair, the dreads tend to fall out and i hear its just not very good. That was SOOO thoughtful and sweet of your girlfriend! she didnt know about the harms of dread corporations im sure and thats why she wanted to help and buy it, i think thats really sweet :) but unfortunate, cuz they are expensive and if you dont decide to backcomb idk that youll get much use from the kit buttt ill give a whack at it....

-Ive seen people go natural and use the spray, but i hear most of the products are bad so you might want more info on that.

- DO NOT USE THE WAX, unless youd like it for a candle :) i hear they smell ok.

-NO PEPPA, thats a load of crap in a bottle.lol

- I actually think the shampoo is okay :) so thats a go.

-i have a friend that uses combs like the ones in the kit for cool textures while painting.lol

and of course the beads and hat is okay:) and the bag itself will be good to carry shtuff in.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
Backcombing is certainly not immanent death for reads, it's just rather damaging to the hair. When my dreads were babies the best thing I washed with was the baking soda, really helped my hair knot up very quickly. The maylee's soaps are amazing but I don't recommend them for baby dreads they are very conditioning. The DHHQ spray won't harm your dreads. If it's the locking accelerator it's just a bottle of salt water-you can use it just make sure you don't leave it on for too long. The shampoo won't destroy your dreads either, it's just got a lot of ing. that I personally try to stay away from, that's your choice though. The pepper should be thrown away!! That stuff is nasty and it probably won't ever wash out of your hair. It's basically sand & sticky resin, don't use it!!!! So do some research and decide for yourself weather you want to T & R or backcomb. T & R is less damaging but your dreads will not fall off if you gently backcomb them either ;o)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

spray and soap yea

tnr is good

section like between 3/4 and 1 inch

or even 1/2 to 1 averagin 3/4

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amelia Nantume Marie Mayer
@amelia-marie-dreadybear
13 years ago
18 posts

Hey there! What a badass girlfriend! My boyfriend wont even touch my dreads. :[

I have had three sets of dreads. First was DHHQ stuff. The shampoo is good. I used it even after I had to cut my dreads. All the other stuff, I would stay far away from. Speaking from experience, WAX IS NASTY STUFF!!!

The second set, I backcombed and used Knotty boy shampoo, which is also great.

This set (hopefully my permanant, to the grave set) I backcombed, and now I just do Baking soda/acv rinses. My dreads are perfectly healthy and strong, so I don't believe backcombing is bad, unless you uncomb them and expect straight hair.

So, just stick to all natural washing and you should be good. :P It's really up to you which way you dread. I think both are good. I have one little tnr dread baby on the side of my face, and it seems to be locking up at the same rate my backcombed babies did.

Happy dreading my friend! Good luck! :D

Andrew Hughes
@andrew-hughes
13 years ago
5 posts

Yo thanks everyone, you are awesome helped me out alot. I cant wait to do the dread thing! I had to turn down a promotion this week because they wouldnt let me keep my dreads but for a life and choice purpose it is worth it. Be you and love life guys! PEACE

Andrew

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form