Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Still facing ignorance, and it's irritating...

tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
13 years ago
145 posts

So, haven't been on in a while guys, sorry! Been very busy with school and life in general. The other day, though, I experienced something that made me want to log on and rant right away.

I have an HMO insurance plan because it is the cheapest (lame). Because of the way they work I am assigned a doctor, I don't really get to choose, it's a little irritating. I hadn't been to the doctor in a while so I went for just a regular check up and to get some more inhalers for my asthma (I don't often use them but I should have them around for emergencies). My partner came with me as my ride and because I don't like new doctors.

Anyway, the doctor came in to the office, I told him I just was needing a refill inhaler script. He looked at me and commented about my piercings (I warned him I had a septum piercing in when he looked in my nose and he said "yeah you have piercings everywhere" in a negative tone.) but whatever, no biggie, maybe I only thought the tone was negative and it is just my own mind taking it this way. Well after that he grabbed and tugged on one of my locks and said "what the hell is going on here?" in a disgusted tone. He gave me a *prewritten* script for flonase (Not what I need, I don't have allergies, I have asthma. I am actually lucky not to have allergies, as it would probably make my asthma worse). He never gave me my asthma perscription and he walked out. I was so taken aback by it and so offended I wanted to cry (also because according to my partner he rolled my eyes when I spoke).

I have been to a few different doctors since I started my locks, and even when they were looking quite messy (loop phase, etc) I have never been treated so shitty. I was really surprised, because I now have quite formed locks (a few weeks shy of a year now, but they've looked very 'locked up' for almost 5 months) and I know it's not a mystery what is going on with my hair. I usually don't give a shit when someone says something like that but I feel like a doctor ignoring me, judging me and treating me this was is just, rude.

The worst part is there's really nothing I can do. My partner wrote a very polite letter explaining the lack of care and professionalism (I wouldn't have been polite so I left that up to him so I wouldn't blow up and make them ignore my letter) and I called my insurance to change my primary care provider. I am going to write some reviews online for him but who reads reviews on doctors? I hope it does help people avoid someone who is clearly working for the pharm industry (I had no need for flonase, he had a whole script pad with flonase written on each one as far as I could tell. PRE WRITTEN!!). And unfortuantely I have to wait till the following month for my doctor change to go into effect. I did mention the super rude treatment and unprofessional behavior to the insurance company, but I'm sure they don't care either.

I honestly never usually get flack for the way I am. Sure, older people might say they don't care for the way I look, but I expect it from like old family members (the same ones who are ok with something like tanning, dying hair, straightening hair, as long as it's a cultural norm, etc) but normally I get complements on my hair, or people asking where I got it done (Which I love answering MYSELF. Hair does this if you leave it long enough). I know people are entitled to their opinions and they can have them, fine, but for a doctor to treat me like I was a bum or something? (clearly I'm not, but even if I was, rudeness is not ok, you might be a doctor but you still have to have reasonable customer service).

Also I know he was a fucking idiot because he had to get out some dumb chart to look for the name of the part he was trying to tell me the flonase would help with. Dumb ass fucker. I am still irritated, and this is probably just now a pointless rant, but I just had to let it out to people who will understand it.

updated by @tatyananashi: 01/13/15 09:01:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

every dr i ever been to treatted me better rthen theire conservative patients well except in oregon they sucked there

ppl do read reviews online

hes also registered with the bbb im sure

and unless he owns the practice he answers to others so i would call the office and file a complaint there as well

personaly i would not take it i would refuse to leave till he came back treatted me with respect and gave me the proper script

actualy had to do that in nyc worse experience ever!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
so sorry that happened to you sweetie! Doctors (and people in general) can be complete, arrogant, asses at times. He had no right to treat you that way! Though better to find out now when you aren't desperately in need of his medical help I suppose. I hope you can find a doctor that will treat you with respect next time. Glad to see you back!! Much Love
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
13 years ago
145 posts

I am going to put it on review sites, it's just that there are so many out there and I don't know which people actually read.

The letter my partner wrote was to the head of the practice, so hopefully he will at least be made aware of the problems.

I was so shocked by it that I didn't know what to say or do, in all the times I've had my locks in all their stages I usually only heard rude things from older family members and the like. Never someone at a business though.

I doubt the next doctor I go to will be that way, but I think if it does happen again I will be more confident to just adress it right away versus being stunned andconfused.

Funny thing I cheered myself up afterjust thinking about talking it out on this site, cuz I know I have support here!

soaringeagle said:

every dr i ever been to treatted me better rthen theire conservative patients well except in oregon they sucked there

ppl do read reviews online

hes also registered with the bbb im sure

and unless he owns the practice he answers to others so i would call the office and file a complaint there as well

personaly i would not take it i would refuse to leave till he came back treatted me with respect and gave me the proper script

actualy had to do that in nyc worse experience ever!

taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
when we go to a doctor, we pay them for their services. They in a sense become employed by us for that short period of time. Without us, they could not pay their bills. It amazes me that Doctors can feel a sense of superiority to a patient. The guy that mows my yard would never treat me like that, (not only because he is a nice guy) but because he would loose my business. Also that doctor is just a rude human being.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form