Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Did you just imply that I don't wash my hair?

Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts
I was so upset by this I just had to share with people who would get it. Sunday was one of my best friend's birthday and she had a little get together. There was this guy there whom I'd met only once or twice before. When one of my friends (not the birthday girl) brought up how my dreads where coming along he butt into the conversation with the following:"You don't wash your hair, right?"I was flabbergasted, do people seriously believe that shit? I shouldn't be surprised because he was pretty ignorant on various other subjects but are you seriously implying TO MY FACE that I don't wash my hair?I tried to educate him, explaining that no in fact clean hair dreads so much easier and faster than dirty hair ever could, and regardless of that, if I hadn't washed my hair for the past three months you would smell it, genius (believe me, that is not the case, my friends are not shy about this stuff. If my hair smelled, they would tell me lol) But he wasn't having it and said "No, that's how you get dreads, by not washing your hair."Well, thank you for educating me. not like I have dreads on my head RIGHT NOW. I was getting really irritated at this point and asked "Oh, and you've had dreads before, that's how you know this?" intending that if he said no I'd tell him he should keep his lack of knowledge to himself, and if he said yes I'd say "Well, that might be why you don't have them anymore."But what he actually said was "No, but my sister has."I admit my reaction was not the kindest, but I just said the first thing that came to my head which was "Well, your sister is a dirty bitch if she doesn't wash her hair." At this point the table erupted in laughter and several of my friends informed him that it's not the brightest idea of irritate me because there is no filter on my mouth.Anyway, I just thought I'd share. Has anyone else gotten this kind of reaction from people? And you can tell me if my response was a tad rude or strong lol.
updated by @lu-a: 02/14/15 03:49:17AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ive never had anyone imply i dont wash it but i get alot of questions about HOW i wash it

mostly curiosity is all

but u will find an asshole at every party im guessing there was plenty of alcahol there?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts
yes but we don't drink to get drunk. We drink because beer is yummy. We're beer snobs lol
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
actualy shes a member here now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

Not embarrassed. Just irritated. My reaction is pretty common, I'm a very abrasive person.

Also, you put beer in your dreads? Beer is for your tummy, not your hair. Ack. Man, as much as I like punk rock, I would not have been able to go through that movement. More power, and all that. I get where the idea comes from, and I've met people myself whose hair was unwashed.

But if my hair looks and smells clean, why would you ask a dumb question like that? Is it okay for me to ask you the same thing.

Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

haha I know right? $750 is an insult.

Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

Same, the majority of the people I know, ask me questions about my hair, like what i do to it and how I wash it. And I live in a city where people are mostly open-minded about other people so its pretty easy to inform when they want to be informed. Which is why this was even more of a shock to me.

I felt like the guy was just trying to get on my nerves.

And it's funny you mention that because i had JUST washed my hair before I came to the party. It was practically still damp when I showed up (not actually, my hair doesn't take that long to dry lol)

PoopStains & SkidMarks
@poopstains-skidmarks
13 years ago
20 posts
I was in line at wally world today and the little girl in front of me about 5 years oldsaid to her mom " That lady needs to brush her hair mommy" all I could do is snicker, afterall she was just a wee one.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
yep people will say a lot of dumb shit...I haven't had anyone be rude but I get a lot of stupid questions, it's just something you gotta get used to. :o)
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
At the beginning someone told me I had to use eggs and not wash my hair and I educated them then that no in fact while that may be a way some people do it it is NOT how I do it. I have been getting lots of "oh wow they're so soft" because people expect them to be rough and sticky and nasty I guess but they are in fact not and I love it :) I've also gotten quite a few "that's epic, I would never have the balls to let my hair go like that" at first I was offended (only for like a min tho) and then was like yups...I'm ballsy :) You're going to find lots of close minded people who just don't get it....don't let em get to ya!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form