Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Words of encouragement, Please!

Nikki Pangborn
@nikki-pangborn
13 years ago
7 posts
So I started my dreads about a week ago, and my husband has been making a lot of off hand comments that are hurtful. Besides telling him that it hurts my feelings (check), what else can I do? Anyone in the same boat as me?
updated by @nikki-pangborn: 01/13/15 09:00:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
tell him if he dont like it a million other guys will so he better knock it the hell off or he might find someone else in your bed soon

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nikki Pangborn
@nikki-pangborn
13 years ago
7 posts
I guess I should have mentioned that he used to have dreads, I did tell him yesterday that he was hurting my feelings. He apologized and said he would stop, but now I know how he really feels,and I can't forget that

Biz said:

Aww. *hugs* That's awful. He should support you, his beautiful wife, in such choices. Have you tried sitting him down and explaining to him why you are doing this? Have you explained that dreadlocks are a beautiful and natural process that can be beneficial mentally and spiritually? Perhaps he just doesn't understand. Is he one of those silly people that think dreadlocks are unclean and gross?

Keep your chin up! If he won't support this decision, we will =D

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

and will want dreads again too

when u say he used to did he have waxy dreads?

--
Nikki Pangborn
@nikki-pangborn
13 years ago
7 posts
no, and i'm not sure why he got rid of them but now he has started balding and can't grow them anymore. he is convinced it's from the dreads.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

was he twisting them all the time crochetting them root rubbing anything like that ..it only would be from the dreads if he did dumb shit to em but yea balding ppl can still dread i know guys in theyre 80s with very long amazing dreads i know oppl who lost 3/4 of their hair and dreaded

i know 1 guy with just 3 dreads and the rest of the heads bald

but yea find out what he did to his dreads as maintenance and i bet ya thats why hes balding..

twisting or interlocking most likely

but anything that over tightens roots can cause balding

--
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

He doesn't sound like he knows much about dreads, even though he had them once. Since he is your husband and someone you are legally and (I'm assuming) spiritually tied to, it might be worth it to educate him. A lot of people just don't understand the process, the journey, etc, so if you do that, and explain to him why dreads are importnt to you, it might help.

If that doesn't help, tell him he is being a (pardon my language) total dick, and that as your husband he needs to support you.

taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
It sounds to me like he is jealous. You are doing something that he feels he can not do. Whatever the reason, if he had healthy dreads, he knows that all dreads go through really weird crazy stages in the first six months to a year. I promise that your dreads are gonna look 100% different in a year. Beautiful dreads come with time and patience (and at times like this, a thick skin). I am very sorry that someone that should support you during this stage is saying things that hurt. Be strong little mamma. Don't ever let someone else take something that is important to you and ruin it.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form