Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The "dreaded" work vs dreads question.

☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
Hello all, My name is Izzy pleasure to join you all!SO I have a problem... I currently work for a Doctor who is cool with dreads. I had attempted them about 3 months ago but was a victim of the "wax for better faster dreads" lies. I took them out after about 1 1/2 months, I managed to save my hair since no real locking had taken place. Long story short. I never wore them down so they could be seen because they were sticky waxy grossness that did not work well with a medical office.I am in the process of beginning a new head of dreads in a more natural approach... twist and rip to get them started and then let the natural process take over.My dilema is that I am getting rather fed up with my boss right now. She changes her schedule at the office daily and I am getting frustrated with her complete lack of business knowledge... She is a GREAT doctor... but never should have gone into business for herself. She has VERY little knowledge of how to use a computer and no clue how to operate our online scheduling program. Now when she comes in the office and I find myself instantly irritated and anything she says comes across arrogant and annoying. I know I can do any job tasks I am needed to do with out a problem but knowing her track record for firing employees and simply telling them she can't afford them, but really there is another reason behind it. I am worried for my job...She is very worried about her finances and I fear my job will not be around much longer either by her doing or I will get so fed up I will quit. I just worry about jobs and dreads and the interview process.Any one have some good advice on ways to approach potential employers the the idea of hiring and employee with dreadlocks?
updated by @izzy-licious: 02/15/15 01:30:55PM
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
hmm, If I were in that position and felt like my job wouldn't be around for a year or so I'd probly start looking around at other jobs, despite how hard that can be right now.when you do go into a interview just keep your tied back, tams look pretty nice for this, and just present the best attitude you can to a potential employer, Try not to let the thought about dreads being a alleged job killer enter your mind.I recently went into a interview with just my hair tied back and talked to clean cut manager, talked to him about the job, and he seemed pretty content with me, a week later I got the job, even other some of the competition that i got to see who ,imo, looked just as suited.in the meantime, even if you hate your job, just look around for something better in your spare time.
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
I certainly have been keeping a low key watch for new jobs... One one hand it's great cuz I am alone in the office 3 days a week and can do homework etc, but on the other I go stir crazy being alone for 6+ hours. I am looking for something in a different part of phoenix closer to where my boyfriend works so we can eventually move near there and get rid of his 40+ mile commute. It is just really hard to find anything that is a legit job and not some scammer just trying to get my resume` and information. My fingers are crossed for now that she takes her head out of her hypothetical butt and sees that if she just stayed at our office more often instead of running to her other "hospital" job she could really make this practice take off and not need to go elsewhere for work... Also she needs to stop doing so many extra curriculars. I am all for bike races for a cure etc. But 2 bike races to train for and boot camp and spin class, etc... she is a work-out-aholic and it is getting in the way of her practice. Not to mention she is as skinny as a twig and really needs to work on strength training not getting skinnier... Iain said:
hmm, If I were in that position and felt like my job wouldn't be around for a year or so I'd probly start looking around at other jobs, despite how hard that can be right now.
when you do go into a interview just keep your tied back, tams look pretty nice for this, and just present the best attitude you can to a potential employer, Try not to let the thought about dreads being a alleged job killer enter your mind.I recently went into a interview with just my hair tied back and talked to clean cut manager, talked to him about the job, and he seemed pretty content with me, a week later I got the job, even other some of the competition that i got to see who ,imo, looked just as suited.in the meantime, even if you hate your job, just look around for something better in your spare time.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
sounds unhealthy fore a dr...anorexia?but ..go into the interviews without even thinking biut your dreads affecting it, either tie em back, or put em up in a wrap..i recomend a wrap over sa ta,m..a single color wrap bloack probably..dont even mention the dreads ubnless they doif they do depends on what they say but u can say you will keep them neat/or hiddenclean and smell freeif they even hint at the fact that they are not appropruate or that youd have to get rid of them just say in a nonm confrontational way " im sorry but, descrimination is illegal, the courts have upheld everry case including having to allow dreads in jails, if the religios rights of prisoners are to be respected shouldnt the rights of employees too"explain then that yiu cannot get rid of them and they cannot ask you to, however tyou can compromise to fit sw professional outlook'

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
If you feel there may be issues then start looking for another job now, just stop brushing. Chances are you will have a job and prove yourself before anyone notices that dreads are forming.
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
2 wordsSelf employment!That used to seem like a far fetched idea but these days with the market like it is it is actually more practical than finding a steady job.Just start a business for yourself while you are in this one. Its not really that hard. Think about what you actually enjoy doing and that you are naturally good at. Then think of an angle in which that skill is needed by a certain demographic of people.Fact is it may never take off enough to fully support you but if you do a few different things that you like to do instead of one big thing that makes you crazy you will be much happier.Also if you diversify your income streams, when one dies down you can transfer your eggs to another basket for a while until things balance out again.I see people wasting time every day doing things for free that most people would be more than happy to pay for. Even if you are doing a Not For Profit you still need to consider that in order to keep the orgnization alive you need to account for your own living expenses.Self - employment means that you cannot lose your job. If it starts to fizzle out you have the opportunity to fix/improve/adjust/evolve your business in whatever creative way you like.I know you can do it as long as you are confident and level headed about it.Most people complain about their jobs but they spend their off time doing nothig about it. We all are capable of doing whatever we want to do if we take the responsibility to create it ourselves instead if waiting around for it to be offered to us.Good Luck with whatever you choose
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i agree completely\last boss i had was when i was 18(well no i did a year as a vista in an office), but other then that been self employed or livin without the need for a job most of my lifei have often dine thinfgs i could get paid to do but didnt wanna though.. and ran a non profitr and never made a cent..but i dont like money much i dont need money much so was never too concerned with itthe "job" i loved most was making jewlery and thats all i did for many yearsi have a freind who loved to cook..macrobiotics.. and that became her business, going into rich ppl's homes who were intertested in healthy diets but too lazxy to cook and shed cook for em..she got so bust with her biz we hardly ever saw heranything u like doing normaly in everyday life u can market..i know 1 woman whos self employed and her job description is "fearie" she dresses up like a fairy and entertains at kids parties.. Didjeridurian said:
2 words

Self employment!

That used to seem like a far fetched idea but these days with the market like it is it is actually more practical than finding a steady job.
Just start a business for yourself while you are in this one. Its not really that hard. Think about what you actually enjoy doing and that you are naturally good at. Then think of an angle in which that skill is needed by a certain demographic of people.
Fact is it may never take off enough to fully support you but if you do a few different things that you like to do instead of one big thing that makes you crazy you will be much happier.
Also if you diversify your income streams, when one dies down you can transfer your eggs to another basket for a while until things balance out again.
I see people wasting time every day doing things for free that most people would be more than happy to pay for. Even if you are doing a Not For Profit you still need to consider that in order to keep the orgnization alive you need to account for your own living expenses.
Self - employment means that you cannot lose your job. If it starts to fizzle out you have the opportunity to fix/improve/adjust/evolve your business in whatever creative way you like.
I know you can do it as long as you are confident and level headed about it.
Most people complain about their jobs but they spend their off time doing nothig about it. We all are capable of doing whatever we want to do if we take the responsibility to create it ourselves instead if waiting around for it to be offered to us.
Good Luck with whatever you choose

--
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
I have actually heavily considered going to work for myself... I said yesterday I am tired of working FOR morons I want to be the "Moron" people work for! my friend chimed in with "yeah but those "morons" are usually well off." Which is a nice perk but to just be happy with what I do on a daily basis would be great!My father is actually in a very similar position and we've tossed around the idea of him and I doing something. I have a natural knack for business so that doesn't worry me and I am taking a few classes to help me learn more. Just getting him to take the leap and really figure out what he would rather do has proven to be the most difficult part of this whole thing.There is a Franchise show/ Seminar this weekend in Phoenix and I am going to try to get him to go with me if anything it will really help us with some ideas.I would really love to have my own theatre but that is something that is further down the road than I am currently!Thanks so much for all the input guys this is really helpful.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i know where therres a theater for sale cheap i was trying to buy it myself its right on the edge of a national forrest too.. and local rainbows want to but 200 acrees nearby for festival/camping space Izzy-licious said:
I have actually heavily considered going to work for myself... I said yesterday I am tired of working FOR morons I want to be the "Moron" people work for! my friend chimed in with "yeah but those "morons" are usually well off." Which is a nice perk but to just be happy with what I do on a daily basis would be great!

My father is actually in a very similar position and we've tossed around the idea of him and I doing something. I have a natural knack for business so that doesn't worry me and I am taking a few classes to help me learn more. Just getting him to take the leap and really figure out what he would rather do has proven to be the most difficult part of this whole thing.

There is a Franchise show/ Seminar this weekend in Phoenix and I am going to try to get him to go with me if anything it will really help us with some ideas.

I would really love to have my own theatre but that is something that is further down the road than I am currently!

Thanks so much for all the input guys this is really helpful.

--
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
15 years ago
183 posts
What type of theatre... Movie theatre or live theatre? That would be wonderful to start something but as it stands right now no bank will loan me the money for something. I need to get something into savings first methinks... soaringeagle said:
i know where therres a theater for sale cheap i was trying to buy it myself its right on the edge of a national forrest too.. and local rainbows want to but 200 acrees nearby for festival/camping space

Izzy-licious said:
I have actually heavily considered going to work for myself... I said yesterday I am tired of working FOR morons I want to be the "Moron" people work for! my friend chimed in with "yeah but those "morons" are usually well off." Which is a nice perk but to just be happy with what I do on a daily basis would be great!

My father is actually in a very similar position and we've tossed around the idea of him and I doing something. I have a natural knack for business so that doesn't worry me and I am taking a few classes to help me learn more. Just getting him to take the leap and really figure out what he would rather do has proven to be the most difficult part of this whole thing.

There is a Franchise show/ Seminar this weekend in Phoenix and I am going to try to get him to go with me if anything it will really help us with some ideas.

I would really love to have my own theatre but that is something that is further down the road than I am currently!

Thanks so much for all the input guys this is really helpful.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form