dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I'm a Newbie - Need Help

Dee2
@dee2
13 years ago
25 posts

Hi all.

I just came across this site today. I had my dreads crocheted a month ago and in looking through dread maintenance I stumbled upon this site which has brought a billion questions. So I'm hoping you all knowledgeable people can answer my questions if possible.

It's been a month. I wash once a week, my scalp is flaking. I have really dark hair and it looks bad, but I put with it. Will that ever go away? the flaking?

My hair is really curly, so I get a frizz cloud after washing my hair, if you guys say crocheting is bad, what can I do to tame it? It's really really bad, and I see people's photos of them complaining about their frizz, but mine is 100% worse. I haven't done any wax or anything sticky...just crocheting. Any help with taming the frizz?

They are skinny too...I thought it was because my hair is not thick, but maybe it's because of the crocheting? Do you guys think they'll eventually get thicker? I'm assuming that maybe since I have so much frizz and loose hairs that they will eventually stick together, but I don't see how without any help? I feel like if I don't do anything, they'll come off and frizz will always be there...floating around my head. Here's a pic so you can see my frizzy cloud...lol

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your advice.

updated by @dee2: 02/14/15 09:04:31AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

stop crochetting crochet breaks hairs causing loose hairs every dread in the worlds got frizz but the more u try to control it the worse it will be!

also the crochet has made them very thin and stiff thats what crochet does besides tear em to shreds

wash em with baking soda teatree rosemary peppermint and follow it with acv and jojoba this will help the flakes and itches

the jojoba will condition the dreads so they loosen up enough tio dread right

the best way to dread is to do nothing so the next best is to do next to nothing..crochet is the absolute oposite of what u should do its opureforce and control u need to let go let them dread on theyre own but now its gotta recover from all u did crochet recovery takes about 6 months before they begin to dread the way they would have at 1 month if u used tnr or natural

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dee2
@dee2
13 years ago
25 posts
Thanks for the advice! Just one question...what are the ratio for jojoba and acv? do I add water to it also?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
in a gallon water add maybe 1/3 cup acv and bout a dropper full of jojoba or less 1st time id use about a dropper full to soften them up

--
Dee2
@dee2
13 years ago
25 posts

Thank you both for the advice. I have stopped using the needle and I have tons of loose hairs, so my fear is that my dreads will keep getting loose and eventually un-tangle. I only wash it once a week cause I'm afraid they won't dread if I wash them more than that...I don't know if I'm wrong about that. My scalp is producing A LOT of oil.

But I started using SE's shampoo recipe for this week so we'll see how it goes. Thanks much!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u cant wash too often washing helps it dreads however

washing too much makes u more oily

if your greasy skip the acv rinse and skip the jojoba till theyre less greasy

--
Dee2
@dee2
13 years ago
25 posts
thanks! do you think washing once per week is okay? or should I go longer?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i wouldnt go longer 1-3 times a weeks recomended but if u get greasy wash just try to extend it 1 day furrher till u can wash one or 2 times a week without getting oily

--
G_
@g
13 years ago
18 posts
you are in good hands now!
Dee2
@dee2
13 years ago
25 posts
I am! :)