Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting off my dreadies.

Billy Schurman
@billy-schurman
13 years ago
20 posts

Im extremely new to this site and dreadlocks but i have some questions about starting my dreads.

At this point in time my hair is around 5 inches. im not sure exactly how long i should let it get before i dread it. sometimes just for fun i will make a single dread in my hair just for practice (using twist and rip) but whenever i do the dread sticks pretty much straight up. im not sure if thats a length issue or if i should just dread it and let them flatten themselves. in case it affects your oppinion i have very thick brown hair. the hair is also very coarse and knots easily.

any help you could give me would be very appreciated.

updated by @billy-schurman: 02/14/15 03:32:00AM
Lexz Luv
@lexz-luv
13 years ago
74 posts
HI im Lexz! Welcome to the site! I used twist and rip method for my dreads and my hair is longer then yours but for like a week they looked supppppper crazy and were standing up! after a week it they fixed themselves!
Billy Schurman
@billy-schurman
13 years ago
20 posts
thanks lexz! good to know. i think im probably going to get an inch or so more before i begin the dreading process.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
just let it dread naturaly it already wants to so stop messin with it let it dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
start the process today but stopping the process of preventing dreads..its really that easy

--
Lou Lou
@lou-lou
13 years ago
28 posts

Heylos! I've just started out to (2nd time around), Its only been 5 days since I last brushed and my hairs already sectioning itself. You should try natural as I got a feeling it will happen quicker than we expect. Your lucky if you have naturally knotty hair. :)

BONES2
@bones2
13 years ago
45 posts

Hi Billy, I think yr hair is at a good length now to start. Just let it do its thing and tangle and knot. I started mine 2.5 months ago and my hair was only 3 inches at longest. Its now an inch longer and have lots of baby dreads forming ... I'm doing it the all natural way. No back combing, no T&R and defo NO wax !!! I have very thick hair but not very course.

The sooner u start the quicker you'll be locked up :)

Billy Schurman
@billy-schurman
13 years ago
20 posts

SE,

i have really been considering going the all natural way but their are some things that have held me back. first of all im still in highschool and to be honost kids at my school are kinda ruthless. now i know that i shouldnt really care, but im slightly worried to go all natural. i still wanted to do the dreads but im trying to keep it somewhat organized. and also im looking for a job right now and im slightly hesitant to go natural because i live in an EXTREMELY conservative town. i dont think anyone in this whole city would hire me...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

they cant not hire ty based on your dreads being natural

and the ruthless kids in school are the idiots u want nothing to do with anyway

--
Billy Schurman
@billy-schurman
13 years ago
20 posts

im worried that they wouldnt hire me because of the dreads and then they would say it was another reason for not hiring me.

but you are probably right. i guess i just really need to think about it.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form