Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads seem sticky after washing

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
Okay, so I do not have hard water, I've tried maylee's bars (didn't seem to have the prob with the nag champa but outta it), Dr. B's and BS/ACV and for the past few washes my dreads feel almost sticky after I wash them, I assumed it was residue of some such so tried a diff method of washing, still had probs so I did a BS/ACV today kinda a heavier deeper cleaning hoping it would magically fix things and lo and behold still the stickiness, I'm wondering if it's from my hair dye coming out? I bleached and used splat hair color about a month ago any suggestions? After they are dry they don't feel sticky or anything, they don't smell funny and are seemingly normal other than being sticky after washing...Oh and I've been making sure to rinse even longer and better thinking perhaps I wasn't rinsing long enough to start with.
updated by @shanxon-lemasters: 02/14/15 02:26:15AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
You know Shanxon, I used to have stickiness after using Bronners but I don't anymore. As the months have gone by and my hair is less healthy (it started out extremely healthy), the stickiness went away. After everytime I shampoo I use ocean water...and it isn't like it washes the stickiness away or anything but I wonder if it has altered the cuticle or something. I did notice that my hair felt a touch sticky again after coloring last time but it went away after a couple of weeks. Generally, when working with hair, stickiness is a sign of a porosity problem or an elastiscity issue. Many times, hair that is over processed (damaged) becomes sticky and very stretchy. In this case4, the only thing I can think of is a chemical response in the hair, but unsure why....???????? I really may need to look into this some more.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Okay, I think I may have a better answer! First, in undreaded hair sebum (which is natural hair oils) is distributed throughout the hair by brushing and combing...second, sebum is a fatty acid so it in turn responds to an acidic ph...so, I can assume that because we don't comb or brush our sebum may be more concentrated at the scalp vs. throughout the hair. Periodic deep cleanses seem to remove excess sebum that accumlates, but the key is in following with the ACV rinse. This makes sense, because my scalp is not oily at all anymore and I had used BS for months, but always followed with ACV. Now that I don't have an accumulation of sebum (so no need to deep cleanse), I still always use ACV to balance the hair. Hair is happy at 5.5 ph but is in actuality slightly more acidic, so it is happy more acidic than not. Haircolor is alkaline in nature, so, when we color we are inadvertently unbalancing the hair! So, there comes the stickiness!
I hope that makes sense! I would recommend BS regularly until no stickiness remains on the hair at all and be sure to follow with ACV. Then, for maintainence, you may use other things to cleanse but always follow with ACV. If you color, you need to mix a slightly stronger ACV rinse and be mindful it may take awhile before the ph evens out.
Panterra Caraway said:
You know Shanxon, I used to have stickiness after using Bronners but I don't anymore. As the months have gone by and my hair is less healthy (it started out extremely healthy), the stickiness went away. After everytime I shampoo I use ocean water...and it isn't like it washes the stickiness away or anything but I wonder if it has altered the cuticle or something. I did notice that my hair felt a touch sticky again after coloring last time but it went away after a couple of weeks. Generally, when working with hair, stickiness is a sign of a porosity problem or an elastiscity issue. Many times, hair that is over processed (damaged) becomes sticky and very stretchy. In this case4, the only thing I can think of is a chemical response in the hair, but unsure why....???????? I really may need to look into this some more.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i got the stickiness too from dr. bronners. i stopped using it. i read online that most people that wash their hair with bs/acv or "no poo" usually pour the bs mixture on dry hair. the bs will bind to the oils on the hair and scalp. leave it on for about 5 minutes and then rinse. then do the acv rinse. i'm going to try this out myself sometime.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Just be careful when you do it Heather. When I first start dreading (the first week) I did what you suggested and it helped alot...but, keep it less potent on your scalp. I found that my scalp was really sore and raw after that even though the hair was much improved and be sure to follow it with ACV.

Heather said:
i got the stickiness too from dr. bronners. i stopped using it. i read online that most people that wash their hair with bs/acv or "no poo" usually pour the bs mixture on dry hair. the bs will bind to the oils on the hair and scalp. leave it on for about 5 minutes and then rinse. then do the acv rinse. i'm going to try this out myself sometime.
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
ohh i never tried putting the BS on dry hair, I haven't had the stickiness before the last 3 week but mainly only did the BS/ACV and then the nag champa, I ran outta nag champa and started using peppermint/rosemary and that's when I noticed the stickiness begin and I had been doing salt sprays so did a bronners cause it always made my hair way soft so figured give it some conditioning might help, thank you guys for your support, I'm not going to be coloring it again I don't think, just gonna let it grow out and what not and do it's own thing, but I will try the BS on dry hair, and I always do ACV rinse...thanks again guys!
Ron2
@ron2
13 years ago
7 posts

Try scraping your scalp with a fingernail, if you get a white sticky residue under the nail its most likely sebum.

Have had the same issue, I believe its caused from the scalp becoming too dry which forces it to produce more oil.

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
nope, nothing on my scalp but a little dandruff but that's even better than it used to be! I was just wondering if it might be leftover residue from when I died my hair last month but I'ma use nothing but BS and ACV for a few weeks and see how things go, also ordering another bar of nag champa!
Rae Drey
@rae-drey
10 years ago
2 posts

So what did you do to fix it ?
Ron said:

Try scraping your scalp with a fingernail, if you get a white sticky residue under the nail its most likely sebum.

Have had the same issue, I believe its caused from the scalp becoming too dry which forces it to produce more oil.

Lisa Ann Maynard
@lisa-ann-maynard
10 years ago
4 posts
Have you been swimming in a chlorinated pool by any chance? Chlorine will cause a terrible sticky feeling that doesn't go away right away! It takes a few bs/acv washes to get your hairs ph straightened out. Hope this helps
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form