Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My crochet experience, can i recover??

drifter
@drifter
13 years ago
3 posts

hi everyone any advice would be very well recieved! i started this set about 3years ago, at the start i used to crochet very often and towards the end maybe only once every 2months. my dreads are now extremely tight and i am happy with their apearance except for the fact that the roots are beginning to thin and i am bored with the crochet maintanance. because of this i have decided to just let them grow however i dont know if its better just to start over as they are so tight i really dont see how they will loosen. any ideas would be a great help as i really do not want to cut them off it just doesnt seem right after three years of maitenance! aghh please help!

peace

updated by @drifter: 01/13/15 08:59:43PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the thinning roots is a concern yiu might want to let the thinnest ones congo

the dreads themselves maybe weak hard to guess how weak tho i posted a discussion earlier on weakness healthy dread starts of extremely strong suporting over 1000 pounds..crochetted to the extreme a few ounces is all it takes to break

now under most circumstances your probly never gonna get more then say 20-50 pounds if u yank on em so u can survive alotta weakness

ok so recovery

some have experimented with massaging them with jojoba or olive oil to loosen them squeezuing em like a tobe of toothpaste with the opil trying to work it in deep especiealy into the real tight knotted spots

this will soften and slowly slowly they will loosen

when u start to see looping you will know they are finaly dreading right

its hard to guess how long recovery will take and u might find they revert to a premature stage and start actual; dreading not just being woven

pics with detailed pics closeups scalp pics all will help pantera determine the level of scalp damage just so u know she probably will recomend starting over but if u want to save these then the oil massages to quicken loosening is the best option

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Yes, I would start over. I think that is really your best option. The tightness is only putting further stress and tension on your hair and scalp, which can and will continue to thin your dreads. I understand that you have 3 years invested in your dreads...but, it is a unhealthy, destructive three years. If you aren't convinced that you need to start over and feel like trying you can put in the efort to use the jojoba and oils as suggested. But, if you put in more effort that doesn't prove effective...where will you be then? I would try combing them out with lots of conditioner and extreme patience. Once they are out, I would get atleast a couple of good haircuts to trim off the worst damage and then use a good protein rich shampoo and a hair reconstructor (not a condition...a reconstructor!) to help restore some strength to the hair. A vitamin (Biotin) wouldn't hurt either. Once you feel that the hair is in a better state, try again in the most natural way possible. :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

kinda what i assumed youd say

it is a tough call cause combing out even real gently is gonna damage em too but recovering from the crochet can take well cant even guess but id have to say at leasst a year

its your call ofcopurse..

we have had several comb out crochetted rdreads and start over 1 the day after getting them done in a salon but a few more after many months or longer

ok heres my best suggestion..do the jojoba massage for a month b4 u even decide at the very least that will help loosen em enough to make combing out easier if u d decide to and if not then u will know if its making any progress even if real slow

--
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
My dreads are right at 3 yrs. I can't imagine combing them out. Maybe yours are not as bad as you think. A picture would really help. I have noticed that mine are thinning some at the roots as they get older/longer. And i have never done crochet. I don't use any maintenance at all on my roots. I personally would try the oil before I did anything drastic. Panterra knows hair! But your dreads might not be past the point of saving. Either way good luck!
drifter
@drifter
13 years ago
3 posts
Thanks I can see what you mean, this is gonna be tough either way. I will try and post some pics later to give a better look. I think I might just cut the majority off and then try the oil on the remaining.. Il giive it least a week before I do anything too drastic though ha thanks for the replies.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
good idea and pics will help alot

--
Chevelle Trant
@chevelle-trant
13 years ago
33 posts
Congo Congo Congo!!!! Let the weakest ones eat themselves. Tie em together with a bit of hemp and after a week take it out and they should start stickin together and forming better roots. I have a few of mine that i did that too and now their great.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
yours are already huge chevy haha are u down to what 8 dreads now?

--
drifter
@drifter
13 years ago
3 posts
Thanks. I suppose letting some congo could be an option but then i would still have other problems i'm guessing because i have used the crochet for so long. Couldnt get a decent camera today but i will hopefully be able to upload some pictures tomorrow so we know what we dealing with. blessings
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form