Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why Dreadlocks?

Dahlia
@dahlia
13 years ago
30 posts

I was wondering, what is everyone's reasons for choosing dreadlocks ? What inspired you, or who inspired them? Is it for maintenance-free hair, or is a spiritual thing? I want to know everyone's stories! I find them fascinating!

My story!

When I was in middle school, my family took a vacation cruise which went to Jamaica. There I saw all sorts of people with dreadlocks . At the time I didn't know anything about dreadlocks or that they even had a name. I wanted to ask the locals about it, but I was painfully shy. They stuck with me since then. As I got older and started dating my last boyfriend he had a dread locks wig that he bought during Halloween. I put it on for the shits and giggles, and I went O_O and said, "I look good with long dreads ." Well he told me no, and that I can't get them. He even started monitoring my hair seeing if I was neglecting it. :/ Yea crazy I know. Well when I started to date my now husband he opened my eyes to spirituality. Then my desire for dreads renewed. I told my husband I have to have dreadlocks. He is still stand offish about it but hell it is my hair my decision. I mean I care what he says but I need to do this for me. It will better me as a person. My natural journey has only been like what 3 days, but I already feel more patience which I have no of. Lol. Then at the end, if I truly do not like them, I will painfully brush them out, which I don't really have feeling in my head because I use to be a trich (a person who pulls out their hair for whatever reason). I don't know if I will like them, but I feel in my heart dreads will ground me, and teach me patience. I also want dreadlocks because I am sick a lot and I just don't have the strength some day to brush or maintain my hair, which causes mats and knots. I just have this feeling I was meant to have dreadlocks ya know?

Oh I have been going natural for 3 days and I already have 2 mats. -__- My hair is a blessing and a curse. I want the mats and knots but it also makes me realize what I was struggling with on a day to day basis.

updated by @dahlia: 02/14/15 06:33:04AM
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts

I just wanted long hair that didnt look sissified like braids can tend to look on men. I would be a first in the males in my family to actually have long hair. I cant claim any spiritual reason for wanting them; but another reason they appealed is due to their relatively care-free nature. I got tired of spending 45$ bucks or morea month on cornrows and clean edges. Oh and cause i intend to be a lenny kravitz impersonator when they get longer. Just kidding. Those are my reasons anyways.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

why drewads cause hair dreads

ok its lil more complicated then that

ok in the beginning ..haha well when i was young i hated hated hated getting my hair cut my mom was cheap as cheap can be so shre always cut outr hair,..by force.. tackling pinning down and attacking with scissors with remarks like "dont squirm or you'll lose an ear" (and nearly did on several ocasions) i always hated the goofy cuts i got

so ff a few years im hangin out in the trendy part of philly and run into a few rastas 1st time i ever saw dreads so i asked 1 on the street how u get your hair like that and he just says lose he comb mon let em grow..so simple so i did

wasnyt long till i had a head full of dreads..or..ciongos never thought they maybe should be seperated so i had 3 main dreads ..2 horns and a beavertail pillow in the back..i rocked that horny look a year then the parents and an evil ex cionvince me t chop em off and get a carrer

sio off to school i gpo in my lil monkeysuite (yea had to wear a suite and tie to this school..eek) i was miserable but doing what was expected..deeply depressed at the loss of my freedom i had from my dreads ..i felt lost..empty..like i had escaped banylon only to be pulled back in ..a slave again

well luckily at my graduation party i borrowed my bros crotch rocket and broke my back when i hit a gigantic pothole on a sharp corner

so breaking my back saved me from the coroporate carrer

2 weeks later (well after getting out of the hospitol was m=onths but 2 weeks after getting out) i started flying gliders went back to a rainbow gathering bout a month after that aqnd thats where i let this set dread..from that momment i knew id never cut my hair again..never be a skave to babylon..id always be free live life on my terms noone elses

so here i am.. a couple months short of 21 years later..and could not imagine a diferent life or not having my dreads..

so

i hguess..why dreads they fit my lifestyle perfectly

a caveless caveman in thye heart of babylon

yearning to live peacefully far from everything in the beauty of nature ..just simply being me

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
13 years ago
155 posts

I've had two sets of dreads over the last 10 years, but I guess this is my story. The first set I just really wanted to have dreadlocks, so one day a few of my friends and I backcombed/crocheted my hair, I used regular shampoo for regular hair. After about a year my dreads didn't look to great and I had alot of build up from shampoo residue. I cut my set and even tho I disliked the way my dreads looked, I was sad they were gone. Especially going from alot of hair to like a inch. My friends were all like omg and why how could you. I told them that one day I would have another set.

Well Ive only had one hair cut since then, and alot of time passed, my hair grew. About 3 years ago I ran into a very friendly bunch of ppl. And this girl had beautiful dreadlocks and I asked her a few questions. She told me about the neglect method, and also that i shouldnt dread my hair cause I had awesome hair anyway. So ever since then Ive been dreading my hair. I have saved alot of money on hair cuts and conditioners and shampoo.

Marcus Acosta
@marcus-acosta
13 years ago
53 posts

Hey Everyone,

Great responses! Remember that we still have a "Why I Have Dreadlocks" YouTube Video Campaign going on on YouTube. You can make these responses into a video and mention the help you've gotten from dreadlockssite.com. To read the official thread please go here: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/why-i-have-dreadlocks-campaign Thanks! Let's make videos!! :-)

Patiencepie
@patiencepie
13 years ago
7 posts
Oh, I love reading everyone's stories! I live in a place where many people have dreads and it's a pretty normal hair style in our community (northern calif) and there's been other soccer moms (like me)with dreads who have paved the way before me. I started dreads because it was the most natural and normal hair for "me" to have. It was a natural part of my evolution as a person and artist. "All the freaky people make the beauty of the world!"- Michael Franti...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

love it i have dreads cause im a soccer mom and soccermoms have dreads haha :)

Patiencepie said:

Oh, I love reading everyone's stories! I live in a place where many people have dreads and it's a pretty normal hair style in our community (northern calif) and there's been other soccer moms (like me)with dreads who have paved the way before me. I started dreads because it was the most natural and normal hair for "me" to have. It was a natural part of my evolution as a person and artist. "All the freaky people make the beauty of the world!"- Michael Franti...

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
FoxPaw
@foxpaw
13 years ago
114 posts

A year or two ago, my friend TJ declared he was tired of his hair and he was going to get dreadlocks. Some of the other guys were lets say, not as supportive. Around this time i had short hair because i just graduated from a reform school. I was interested. He would always show me his process all the babies and be so happy telling me "Do this with me Brad! Grow your hair out and let it do what it wants to do"

Before I went to this reform school, I had chin length hair that i straightened (yes with a straightener) because I wanted to my hair to grow down. If I didnt it would be too too curly. I have always wanted long hair. I remember thinking about locks then too but I was lead mostly to wax stuff and i just didnt want to make one bad habit into another.. then off to reform school i go. Shaved head....... jump suit..stuffed with actual crazy, mean kids. Long story.

Anyways, at the time my friend said my hair was long enough to do it the organic method. So i woke up the next morning and was going to run my fingers through...then said No I want dreadlocks. I dont want to care for my head. Let the roots form & take care of themselves. It's been 10 months, I love my nappiness, i have a few mature locks, some new locks forming and STILL lots of loose hairs. But I learn to appreciate it now. It's a hobby on my head and i dont want to miss a second. My hair has made me feel more patient, love the way they feel, love i listened to friend & found you guys.

and yes indeed it is a total asshole filter haha

(oh and Tj's dreads are Amazing, i think he's 17 months)

Dahlia
@dahlia
13 years ago
30 posts
I love everyone's stories! Thanks for sharing.
shannan
@shannan
13 years ago
38 posts
I am a very crunchy person and I feel dreads jive with my lifestyle. I also want to grow my hair back out and when it starts to get long, it's really hard to maintain because my hair starts to tangle badly in a matter of a few hours. My hair was really long and I ended up chopping it all off and kept it short for years, all the while thinking I should have just let it dread naturally. so now my hair is longer and I have chosen to do it because I think they are beautiful
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form