Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The truth of Backcombing is Unraveled (literally)

Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts

Ok so I lightly backcombed in in the beginning in an effort to separate my pseudo dreadlocks.Its been about 8-9 weeks since I started and I am noticing something that makes all the sense in the world to me and vindicated those like SE in a big way.All the locks that were backcombed looked like funny dreads in the beginning. As time went on my decision was to leave them be completely aside from washing and drying them. I have had them up in my wool hat or just hanging loose in a sleeve.What I am observing is that all of my backcombed locks are indeed dreading but they all had to come undone FIRST. Some of them stayed in their little sectioned mass for the most part but inbetween the roots and tips they totally went back to strait hair and then began the REAL dreading process. Some of the are coming out entirely and recreating on their own.To be honest this actually pleases me greatly. It gives my dreads their freedom back and allows for a more natural process.Although my back combing did provide the apparent look of dreads for a while and kept many of them in the initial sections, every lock had to come mostly undone before knotting up correctly. I would imagine that if I used wax this process would not be allowed to occur and I would have stupid pseudo locks forever (or a couple of sticky smelly years).Back combing might have some practical applications in a societal context, but I am failing to realize the overall benefit vs. the damage to your hair.

updated by @didjeridurian: 02/14/15 03:31:11AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
great postand its good to see someone who embraced the process instead of freaking out when things went the way they usualy go..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Seems that if you keep them clean with residue free shampoo it still takes about the same amount of time to fully lock up whether you backcomb or not.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
exactlywell...in most casesoily hair can be slow so oil reduction is needed 1sti can say mine dreaded naturaly so fast i really cant remember there being a messy period betwee n dreaded and undreaded..it was 20 years ago but the time that it took to dread seemed like days but im assumming it was weeks.. id guess in 2-3 weeks or so most were dreaded enough to get "nice dreads" comments Puppy said:
Seems that if you keep them clean with residue free shampoo it still takes about the same amount of time to fully lock up whether you backcomb or not.

--
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
It's thyme that helps with oily hair right? soaringeagle said:
exactly
well...in most cases
oily hair can be slow so oil reduction is needed 1st
i can say mine dreaded naturaly so fast i really cant remember there being a messy period betwee n dreaded and undreaded..it was 20 years ago but the time that it took to dread seemed like days but im assumming it was weeks.. id guess in 2-3 weeks or so most were dreaded enough to get "nice dreads" comments

Puppy said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
yesmaybe others as wellbut so does adjusting your wash schedulewashing less oftedn with stuff that strips oils makes less oils produced Jo McClelland said:
It's thyme that helps with oily hair right?

soaringeagle said:
exactly
well...in most cases
i can say mine dreaded naturaly so fast i really cant remember there being a messy period betwee n dreaded and undreaded..it was 20 years ago but the time that it took to dread seemed like days but im assumming it was weeks.. id guess in 2-3 weeks or so most were dreaded enough to get "nice dreads" comments

Puppy said:

--
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
well right now I'm washing it about once a week. Well I went 6 days this time because my hair was a little ripe. But I havent been doing the vinegar rinse, would that help? soaringeagle said:
yes
maybe others as well
but so does adjusting your wash schedule
washing less oftedn with stuff that strips oils makes less oils produced

Jo McClelland said:
It's thyme that helps with oily hair right?

soaringeagle said:
exactly
well...in most cases

Puppy said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
hmm not totakly sure since mines more dry then oily i would think u shouldnt unless u needed too but matbe didge or willow would know moreweekly should do it if your still oily.. spray with thyme tea inbetween washes u can leave it on

--
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
awesome, I will try out the thyme tea spray. Where I am tho its hard to find actual thyme, by actual thyme I mean fresh thyme would the dried out version work?Thanks! soaringeagle said:
hmm not totakly sure since mines more dry then oily i would think u shouldnt unless u needed too but matbe didge or willow would know more

weekly should do it if your still oily.. spray with thyme tea inbetween washes u can leave it on
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
where are you exactly? Thyme is super hearty, should be available anywhere. Real easy to grow Jo McClelland said:
awesome, I will try out the thyme tea spray. Where I am tho its hard to find actual thyme, would the dried out version work?
Thanks!

soaringeagle said:
hmm not totakly sure since mines more dry then oily i would think u shouldnt unless u needed too but matbe didge or willow would know more

weekly should do it if your still oily.. spray with thyme tea inbetween washes u can leave it on
 / 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form