Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

separating confusion

Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts
Hey everyone...my almost 2 month T&R'd dreadies are doing great, I'm just a bit confused about separating.I don't have congo's or anything....but I do have a LOT of "webbing" close to my scalp that just feels tighter and tighter and I'm noticing more small amounts of hairs locking themselves to each dread....but in kind of weird ways.Is separating as a maintenance measure also with even small amounts of hair...and what about this webbing against my scalp?(mainly in the back of my head) I hope I'm making myself clear,because I don't feel like I am. When you separate,what exactly are you doing? It seems I mostly read about people separating individual dreads or congo's that are forming when speaking about separating...so If I shouldn't be messing with these small amounts of hairs joining,then I won't. Sometimes it feels like the hairs trying to marry into a dread aren't where they belong though,because it's pretty uncomfortable and pulls. Hope someone understands what i'm rambling about here...
updated by @angie-glaze: 01/13/15 08:59:15PM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

well, i know that the webbing at the scalp should definitely be separated. you don't want to be able to move one dread and have all of them move along with it.

when i separate i go from root to tip and rip anything thats attaching to other dreads around it. i don't do it too often though because it tends to set my progress back but with your t&r dreadies i would do it after every wash just to keep everything in order while they mature.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

thorough seperartion tips

1 pull dreaes in oposite directions when wet to rip the connecting hairs

2 if they dont rip lil olive oil in the web can help

3 try slipping a finger under connecting hairs that wint rip (only few at a time) and oull up (nchor hairs pulling painfully by pinching them so u can break em without pain (too much)

4 once u seperate as thorough as u can take fingers press against scalp and push hairs towards the dreads

im probly not being too clear either

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts
That actually helped alot...thanks everyone. Is it okay to actually break hairs that are trying to join in with a dread...like if there's just 3 or 4 random hairs but I know they're not where they should be,because of the pulling,etc....but if they're not actually joined into a Root, how do I actually break them free from a dread?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea u should just pull the dreads apart they will come loose or break or "rip"

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts

Okay thanks again everyone!