Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Fuzzy looks so unprofessional! How do I fix this?

Katie2
@katie2
13 years ago
40 posts

So, I'm a teacher at a private Christian school...and some there think dreadlocks look unprofessional. I have been pulling them back or to the side with a flower to dress them up, but they get so fuzzy at the roots, and a bunch of hairs start sticking up all over the place! I'm assuming this is normal, but in my attempt to combat it, I began twisting the little hairs in, only to find that I am damaging my dreads even more, and in turn causing more little hairs to pop out!

Any suggestions? I know that dreads are supposed to be no/low maintenance, for this is why I desired them. But I always end up acting on my fears of them never binding on their own, and so I end up twisting. "/ Bad, I know. Suggestions?

Also, all those little hairs just stick out and I want them to integrate, and again, my fear tells me that they will just grow long and never ever hook up with a dread. Encouragement???

Thanks.

updated by @katie2: 01/13/15 08:59:13PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

leave em alone di sea salt sprays stop twisting they will either integrateor become new baby dreads but they have to get long enough 1st to do that if u stop twisting they will get long enough to not stick up they will lay in among the dreads giving a softer look and blend in then as they reach the right length they dread..just let em if u need to tame it a lil during the awkward stage of rcoveruing from twisting use a lil aloe vera (pure no other ingredients) like a hair gell to smooth em back and down but dont over use once they are longer stop so they can just dread up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
Hey chica...all I can say is me too! I'm an RN in a busy ICU, so you know the hair needs to at least appear to be under control!! I usually wear a wide headband which helps give a smooth look around the face, then catch the sides/back up in a big claw clip and go. It's not nearly long enough to do any cool wrapping up in itself or braiding yet, but so far, that is how I manage. I have used the aloe SE suggests a few times with decent results. It's tough to find the happy medium between being a new dreadling and keeping up a professional appearance, but with positive energy and loving intention we can do it!! Luck to you, and peace.
Katie2
@katie2
13 years ago
40 posts

Where might one find the sea salt sprays and which are best (if that is a valid question)? Do I make a solution myself?

Thanks.
soaringeagle said:

leave em alone di sea salt sprays stop twisting they will either integrateor become new baby dreads but they have to get long enough 1st to do that if u stop twisting they will get long enough to not stick up they will lay in among the dreads giving a softer look and blend in then as they reach the right length they dread..just let em if u need to tame it a lil during the awkward stage of rcoveruing from twisting use a lil aloe vera (pure no other ingredients) like a hair gell to smooth em back and down but dont over use once they are longer stop so they can just dread up

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
sea salt + water = sea salt spray:) just mix it up in a spray bottle. if your stray hairs are long enough you could use a tapestry needle and thread the loose hairs through the eye of the needle and weave them into the correct dreadlock. a bit time consuming but i've heard others have done this with good results and no damage.
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
13 years ago
159 posts

I do wear my hair up for my work. Surgical asst. I did post some pictures of different ways I wear mine, if that helps, take a peak at my home page and photos. I do wet my hair down before putting them up or back. This seems to tame the frizzy down some what, enough for me and my work. peace

Oh It would be nice to see more pictures of your dreads... :-}

Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts
I have a question. I though that sewing your dreads was no good for them and hindered the dreading process? Have I been misinformed because sewing seems likd it would help.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i would not sew them

but think about this

1 you say they stick up and dont integreat 2 in order to stick up they have to be short in order to integrate or become a dread they have to be longer when theyre long enough they lie down and blend in then dread

so forcing them in at a short length means theyres constantly some sticking up

smoothe em down with aloe till theyre lob=ng enogh to dread and when lkong enough they dread

then if u just leave em be they always lay down blending in and dread as they reach that magic length

u just gotta get through the short spiky phase u caused by forcing m too shoert

thats where aloe comes in

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

This is probably going to sound like a bad idea but have you considered headbands? Aloe gel would be of a great assistance, you can buy some at vitaminshoppe or a health store. Or Walmart if there is one in your area:

3.97 Aloe Gel 100%

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
that aloe has a lot of other ingredients in it. i would use it on my skin but not my hair. you want to get pure aloe. the kind that needs to berefrigerated. you can get it in gel or liquid form at most health food or vitamin stores. i think the brand name is lily of the desert.

Mary said:

This is probably going to sound like a bad idea but have you considered headbands? Aloe gel would be of a great assistance, you can buy some at vitaminshoppe or a health store. Or Walmart if there is one in your area:

3.97 Aloe Gel 100%

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form