Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shaving baby dreads off-Receded hairline

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts

Awhile back i made a post regarding the fact that my hairline was receding somewhat on one side. Months later the problem has only progressed and for the first time i am actually considering shaving my head bald.I know there arefellasout there with amazing locks that have receded hair lines but..well read on.

It is too bad too cause everywhere else is full and thick and sprouted baby dreads. What makes it worse though is that it has only receded on the one side, not on both. Which makes it lookreally uneven, particularly when hair is pulled back, Now i have considered getting the edges/widows peaktrimmed like http://hummingbirdlovegorilla.wordpress.com/ to help compensate, though i cant say how it would look on me.

Currently i use a combination of castor oil/jojoba oil on the scalp though i cant report any positive effects yet. So if you know of any other herbs, shampoos, methods,anything at all that are rumored to help stimulate the scalp/regrow hair feel free to post. Thanks much ya'll.

updated by @thundersquall: 02/14/15 06:11:36AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

stop using those theyre clogging up the pores

but um hair will not recede on 1 side only if it is its not recedingits traumatized from twisting or pulling (i believe i could be wrong)something u had been doing i think caused it

now use a estringent to clean the pores teatree witch hazel something like that

then rosemary on the scalp

theres also in products section 2 discussions with hair tonics 1 that helps hair grow i think its vodka based with i think rosemary maybe nettles

i forget

the castor oils are only gonna make things worse i believe

lets see pics i am fairly certain its from how u styled ot pulling it back twisting braiding or corn rows..

most likely corn rows

i bet its not as noticable as u think too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
RBN
@rbn
13 years ago
50 posts

Try this..

1. Thyme essential oil - 2 drops
2. Atlas cedarwood essential oil - 2 drops
3. Lavender essential oil -3 drops
4. Rosemary essential oil -3 drops
5. Jojoba oil - teaspoon
6. Grapeseed oil - 4 teaspoons

Baring in mind that it might not work at all. I'd reccommend using this every day for a month. After that, you'll know for sure if this worked or not. If you start to notice that it is causing more damage then obviously stop using it. It worked for me but more on one side of the head which is strange. I am also going balder on one side of my head (the right side) and I'm not using any chemicals and stuff like that.

Good luck

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
SE is correct, stop the oils! Please post a picture. SE is also correct in stating that an individual does not usually recede on only one side. It is called "male pattern baldness" for a reason...it follows a distinct pattern! I really would like to see a picture. Do not shave anything off! You could be sufffering from Alopecia or have caused a stress loss from too much tension on your hair or scalp and shaving will not help. If it is loss due to something you did it will continue and you will become uneven again. What have you been doing to your hair? How old are you? Is there baldness in the family (mother's side)? Please do post a photo...I can tell right away if you show me what is going on. Also, are you a Vegan? I need some information but will be more than glad to help you.
RBN
@rbn
13 years ago
50 posts

I heard oils unclog the pores, allowing the hair follicles to grow hair again.

Also, my hair is also receding on one side and not so much on the other and I did nothing to pull it or anything.

Are sure the oils are bad?

Panterra Caraway said:

SE is correct, stop the oils! Please post a picture. SE is also correct in stating that an individual does not usually recede on only one side. It is called "male pattern baldness" for a reason...it follows a distinct pattern! I really would like to see a picture. Do not shave anything off! You could be sufffering from Alopecia or have caused a stress loss from too much tension on your hair or scalp and shaving will not help. If it is loss due to something you did it will continue and you will become uneven again. What have you been doing to your hair? How old are you? Is there baldness in the family (mother's side)? Please do post a photo...I can tell right away if you show me what is going on. Also, are you a Vegan? I need some information but will be more than glad to help you.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
I have been a licensed hairstylist for 31 years and yes, if you are experiencing male pattern baldness they are. Almost every single sufferer of MPB without exception has oily hair and or scalp. The sebum from our scalps contain perspiration and salts which can cause hair loss. If someone has MPB then they generally have a more productive sebum output. If you have a healthy scalp you will grow hair, but sebum can and does clog the follicle...causing loss. My own husband has MPB and refuses to listen when I tell him to wash his hair more, not less. Many men feel that the washing will just speed loss because they may see hair in the drain...but, just like keeping dreads clean, there is amazing benefit to keeping the scalp very clean and using astringent products. In MPB, you must keeping sebum plugs out of the follicle. Using a gentle, but deep cleansing shampoo, massage and hair vitamins can be very helpful...although, it is a genetic problem, so ultimately if the hair is set to go it will. Everyone has one side of their hair which is thicker and more abundant with hair. Also, we tend to sleep on one side more or even expose that side to sun, or other thoughtless practices. I had a client who absent mindedly twisted her hair on one side and experienced loss. If you are determined to use oils on the hair, use them sparingly and not anywhere near the scalp. Another thing...many people experiencing hair loss wear hats and tams. This is a very bad idea...it allows the sweat and oils to sit on the scalp for a longer time without allowing them to evaporate as they would when we allow hair to flow free. Oh, and as for oils unclogging pores...no. Some oils can be effective on skin causing a deep cleansing or moisturizing effect...but, these are very specific oils used in very specific ways. Oils in general, and most specifically natural oils like sebum, do not unclog pores.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ah so my gut instincts were right on :)

yu were indseed hurting yourself with smearing on oils when you should be removing them from the pores

perhaps witch hazle with teatree added would be the best pore declogger

then stop covering it stop messing with it just keep it clean and your good

--
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Oh, and I looked at your profile. Tea tree oil is not the same as other oils because it has a very deep cleansing property. Also, you started your dreads with backcombing...if you are predisposed to baldness this is a very bad idea. You have had your dreads long enough that just the addded weight of the dreads can speed your hair loss. Also, when you backcombed, you may have used more tension in a given area which in turn caused additional loss or you may have had more hair on one side as I stated before and the added weight caused more loss on that side. There is always an explaination for hair loss. Round, symetrical patches indicate Alopecia, uneven loss in select areas can indicate infection of the follicle resulting in loss or MPB...which does follow a generally predictable course.
RBN said:

I heard oils unclog the pores, allowing the hair follicles to grow hair again.

Also, my hair is also receding on one side and not so much on the other and I did nothing to pull it or anything.

Are sure the oils are bad?

Panterra Caraway said:

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Once again SE...right as rain! :)

soaringeagle said:

yu were indseed hurting yourself with smearing on oils when you should be removing them from the pores

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

lol well most of it just makes sense wghen u think about it but i think too many ppl dont think they just see someone else did it so they'll try it too

Panterra Caraway said:

Once again SE...right as rain! :)

soaringeagle said:

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form