Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

beads. loops. bumps. applications of the like.

Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts

so what do you guys thing sliding beads over big loops or zig zags do?. first we have to think about the nature of a loop or zig zag. is the stage of that section of hair dreading dreads dont twist around each other, they loop, tie, and combine. when you slide a bead over a loop, be it a loose new dread, or a hard maturing dread with a loop what does that do to the loop. in the nature of loops, do they usually suck back inside a dread and compress, or do they lay down flat onto the dread and dread into the surface of the dread. ive had both happen in different dreads on my head. im just wanting to know about how a bead treats those loops. if it is supposed to suck inside of the dread naturally (say a loop formed at 10 months in), would putting a bead over it just make it dread flat against the outside of the dread and mess something up? something i got curious about when i took a bead off of a loop and found it compressed against the surace of the dread, the loop still clearly visible but 2D now as if drawn on paper. i know people say to put beads over areas like that, but what happens inside the inner workings of the loop and bead. do any problems or permanent lumps result, or is everything fine?

just another random jackal thought, wanted to get that out there and see what others think

updated by @jackal: 01/13/15 08:57:21PM
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
i can't get beads on top of my loops the loops are too big and i end up with a loop on either side of the bead, so i usually throw a bead just above it and use it to keep the bead in >.< Once i used a heavy bead (nut wrapped in yarn) to put above the loop to kinda pull it down and well that lasted a whole day it was just too heavy and *shrugs* i like my loops. I even tried a hemp wrap around a very loopy dread and it just looked silly so my loopy will continue to be loopy and i will adorn my "straighter" with things or use the loops to keep beads in for decoration.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

never tried to fix a loop cause loops never need fixin so i dunno

but id assume it just compressed it on the surface..but long term dangers i doubt it

lumps well dreades are lumpy how do u tell if its caused a lump if theyre lumpy end to end

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i'm curious about this too. i have 5 sections that dreaded from the bottom up and sucked in the ends and created a big zig zaging section on the ends. i'm really hoping in the coming month it will fix itself but if not then i'd like to find a way to round them out so i don't have these flat paddle looking dreads right in the front. they're kind of pulling in a weird way too.
Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts

the zig zags and stuff are normal, its just a sign that that areas starting to lock up, they always fix themselves if you give it time. im delighted when i find a new loop or zig zag cause i know its making progress. they dont usually go away in a month, usually 3 months or so on my head.

my main concern has been if i compress the loop against the surface of the dread instead of letting it go and suck inside the dread if im preventing that area in the dread from forming a knot and dreading solidly, and causing a sort of straight section in the core of the dread that will never knot, even if its not visible that way on the outside

Heather said:

i'm curious about this too. i have 5 sections that dreaded from the bottom up and sucked in the ends and created a big zig zaging section on the ends. i'm really hoping in the coming month it will fix itself but if not then i'd like to find a way to round them out so i don't have these flat paddle looking dreads right in the front. they're kind of pulling in a weird way too.
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
I usually rotate where I put my beads and stuff, and I don't usually put them over loops. I think it would probably fix itself eventually if it was just compressed down only for a few weeks/months. I doubt any party of a normal dread could never knot, you know?

Jackal said:

the zig zags and stuff are normal, its just a sign that that areas starting to lock up, they always fix themselves if you give it time. im delighted when i find a new loop or zig zag cause i know its making progress. they dont usually go away in a month, usually 3 months or so on my head.

my main concern has been if i compress the loop against the surface of the dread instead of letting it go and suck inside the dread if im preventing that area in the dread from forming a knot and dreading solidly, and causing a sort of straight section in the core of the dread that will never knot, even if its not visible that way on the outside

Vincent G
@vincent-g
13 years ago
11 posts
With or without beads the loops in my dreads did the same, they just compressed on the dread.I don't find the right words to explain it in english but anyways that's what it does...
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form