Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Misguided racism (well isn't it always?) towards caucasian dreadies...

so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts

Highly disgusted and disturbed with this article:

http://www.onthevergeofdatingwhitegirls.com/2006/03/white_people_we.html

I left a comment... but right now I just feel shaken and shocked and need to show this to you guys too because in my experience most of the people on this site are reasonable and good thinkers...

I don't know, I just woke up, and now feel completely exhausted after reading this. ):

updated by @so-wouldve-i: 02/15/15 03:16:03AM
Clayton
@clayton
13 years ago
76 posts

Wow... the post was bad enough, but the comments were hateful. Then again, it's a site fueling racism, so what can you expect? It's not like there aren't white supremacy sites out there too, or Asian supremacy, or any race, for that matter. It's just one of those things, I suppose.

Add anonymity into the mix and people's TRUE colors come out. Forget race.

so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts

"Forget race." <--- good advice for everybody (:

I didn't really understand whether the site was particularly fueling racism or.. just some bigot's blog or something idk

Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts
I had to stop reading, it is opinion after opinion, strongly written, push and push back. Everyone agrees with their own opinion. You know the truth about yourself so don't let them bother you! :)
Nicole Binns
@nicole-binns
13 years ago
22 posts
This article assumes that locks are something that people can only grow deliberately. They assume you can only grow locks 'on purpose' and so it's a sign of your 'culture.' While it's true that you can view locks as a part of a particular culture, locks are also just something that happen automatically by themselves regardless of what culture you belong to. The author of that article is ignorant of how natural locks work. She must be assuming that all locks have to take hours and hours of work and constant maintenance, because they couldn't possibly happen all by themselves!Dreadlocks belong to the whole human race.
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
13 years ago
458 posts

I don't typically see any black people with dreads claiming it's cultural appropriation. Then again, when they complain about 'whites' it isn't typically in a racist manner but more about industrialization and commercialization. Those that do truly associate it to cultural reasons are generally happy to see dreads on white people because it is symbolism for casting off a harmful social and economic system and a return to a more natural approach to life regardless of the individuals personal reasons for having dreads.I have had a few people question me in a way leading to the "white people shouldn't have dreads" thing. But they've always been pleased that I know the historical and cultural meaning and it's not just for looks.

As for that site specifically, well, they have an article about footwear with a pic of a nike. I may be going out on a limb here but I'll assume it's promoting consumerism. An idea typically frowned upon by all dreadheads.

Kris2
@kris2
13 years ago
43 posts
all i really got to say about this is its 4 years old....
Dan B
@dan-b
13 years ago
58 posts
Cmon guys it's only a dude voicing HIS opinion! A right that we are poising very quickly in western society. I don't think he was particularly offensive just a tad misguided.I'm White I have dreads they look a complete mess which is great lol. Live and let live my fellow dredies! Xx

Kris said:
Dan B
@dan-b
13 years ago
58 posts
A side note:It's when government bodies etc say this stuff that you worry.
so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts

"Poising very quickly" ?? <--- what.

Anyway, I am so tired of common Western values being considered more valuable or more valid based on the fact that they're "agreed upon" by masses... Since when has that ever made something a "good" idea?

Also, 4-5 years really isn't that long ago lol

Dan B said:

Cmon guys it's only a dude voicing HIS opinion! A right that we are poising very quickly in western society. I don't think he was particularly offensive just a tad misguided.

I'm White I have dreads they look a complete mess which is great lol. Live and let live my fellow dredies! Xx

Kris said:
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form