Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

12 months backcombed timeline *ONE YEAR UPDATE*

Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts

Hello dreadies. I felt like its time to make my own timeline. im at 1 year, started with backcombing. waxed twice, day of backcombing and 2 days after. after that i worked on getting the wax out and just went natural.

Any thoughts on my dreads are welcome!

(edit: im sorry for the formatting in that one area. was still figuring out the insert image formatting options)

This was them at about 2 weeks:

And the above image is about 1 month.

They were pretty huge, i didnt want thin dreads at the time, and when backcombing we sectioned them into 3" sections. Little did i know just how huge they would be...

2 months:

They were locking up quite nicely, though they were huge, and i started to notice how much fatter dreads get when they start to lock up. I then worked on splitting fatter dreads. i started out with just 16 dreads, im up to at least 30 now but i havent counted in a long time.

These are at 4 months. I had split quite a few:

They were coming along quite nicely, though they were still pretty new i suppose and hadnt locked up very hard, but they looked really nice.

5 months:

nappy nappy head. this was the first point in time where i thought my head looked bad, but i knew very well that it was just a phase my hair was going through, and pressed on.

9 months: this is where im at right now, most of my dreads are getting really really thick and hard near the roots and tips, a very few of them are still unmatted in the centers but thats only maybe 2 of them. most of them are rock solid in most places on the dreads. theres still a lot of loops, even around the solid parts. i wonder if the loops will go away or not if that area in the dread feels like a rock o.O

**ONE YEAR!!**

i just hit one year today (may 16th), and i took some photos out in the sunlight.

So thats it so far. Im not sure how my progress is going compared to others, but im happy with it.

What do you guys think? any comments are very appreciated!

updated by @jackal: 02/03/18 12:18:45PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wow they were huge im gonna post this on another thread shes got just 13

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts
haha well a few different ways. i alwas tried to separate as much as i could with my fingers but eventually we resigned ourselves to taking a knife and scissors and cutting some straight down the middle. you cant even tell they were split now, and they never developed any funky looks and their strength didnt suffer at all. it was mainly a factor of having halfway split a dread apart and the rest being too dreaded to split with my fingers

Sarah Hagan-Stuff said:
how did you split them?
Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts
lolthank you KS. im not sure ive ever heard that compliment before but it means a lot to me :) eventually (when i can afford it) im going to order one of your peyote stitches to put in my hair and decorate them a bit

Knottysleeves said:

They're coming along great! Last August I split a bunch of thick ones too and it's taken awhile for some of them to settle down and re-dread. Not that they were unravelling or anything, but the knots shifted around a lot after splitting and now I have new zigzags and stuff. :-)

I really like your texture.

Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts
woo. 1 year update
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
12 years ago
411 posts

They look amazing!!!!!

Dislike 0