Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting my dreads

Josh Schaefer
@josh-schaefer
13 years ago
4 posts

my hair is about about a good 6 inchs and im wanting to start dreading it. but i have no clue how to start to section them off or anything like that. what all do i need/need to do so they start to dread naturally. any answers will help thanks.

Peace and love

updated by @josh-schaefer: 01/13/15 08:56:06PM
Bene
@bene
13 years ago
35 posts
stop combing them ^
Josh Schaefer
@josh-schaefer
13 years ago
4 posts
i dont brush my hair as it is but i do shampoo it everyday
calipark
@calipark
13 years ago
54 posts

Use a baking soda wash or a non-residue shampoo like Prell Classic (don't use it too much, it can be drying and cause dandruff because it's a clarifying shampoo and is meant to be used every now and then). You can try baby shampoo also. The baking soda wash is the most effective but you gotta make sure to make the recipe properly and dissolve it in very hot water, and rinse with hot water also. There's lots of recipes on the forums if you search.

I'd steer clear of Lavendar, Tea Tree, and Peppermind oil's though because they can cause gynecomastia in some cases and proven to decrease testosterone/increase estrogen. There's stuff on google about it. Peppermint oil can even slow hair growth, some people tested it on one side of their face for their beard and noticed that. Weird huh! Lol.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

id never heard that bout the pils and i use em all the time

your hair will section itself when u wash with a non condioitioning shampoo then will dread

u dont gotta do a thing except seperate em if they try to grow together

sea salt sprays help tooo

so does sleeping on a wool sweatter

and wearing a wool tam

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Josh Schaefer
@josh-schaefer
13 years ago
4 posts
so your saying if i just change my shampoo and make sure they are not all together my hair will dread?!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea but u also gotta make sure u dont finger comb em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
codeye
@codeye
13 years ago
8 posts
Whats your hair like john, Coarse, thin, curly etc? Mine is thick and wavyish, i wash everyday with aveda shampoo and its locking up very quick, 25ish dreads already locking up nice after 7 weeks. Natural works best for me but i guess it comes down to personal choice.
Josh Schaefer
@josh-schaefer
13 years ago
4 posts

its curly as all and its notreally thick butits deffentitly thickand i have aveda shampoo already. so can i just start using that and my journey starts?

codeye
@codeye
13 years ago
8 posts
Yeah, all i did to start is stopped combing on new years day and have washed it everyday since with only aveda. Its nearly 2 months and ive got some cravy dreading going on at the back and sides. Just be patient with it and it will dread before you know it.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form