Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Losing it!!!

Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
So, I started my dreads three months ago w backcombing. They are getting pretty tight. Thing is, there is loose wispy hair too all over the place, there are loops and bumps and I just feel like they look awful. Not at all what I envisioned. That being said, I know this is part of the journey. I am dreading as a spiritual journey, to learn to surrender control. ITS NOT WORKING!!!!! I wish I'd gone neglect/natural. I feel cheated. I didn't find this site until way after I had (literally) bought into the DHHQ bs hook line and sinker. aaaaaaaaaaaaaHhhhhhh!!! Please help. I am thinking seriously of combing out and starting over. Opinions/advice/anything??!!??!!
updated by @medusa: 02/14/15 07:50:43AM
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
Get rid of all mirrors, throw on a tam, bandana, forget about them. I know it's so much easier said than done, if you really want the bumps to get better throw in some beads or wraps to try to tame em down a bit. Aloe will help with stray hairs, i understand your "insanity" if you will as mine is always in my face when trying to eat or clean lol so i throw on a bandana or a tam. starting over and going natural is going to put you in the same boat you are in now in 3 months again stick it out and try hard to be patient. Good luck they will end up looking great (tho i think they look good now!)
Lex
@lex
13 years ago
217 posts

get over it :)

just stop thinking about your hair. You have yet to surrender any control if you are thinking about starting over already.

although DHHQ..... do you have wax in your dreads?

Tori
@tori
13 years ago
34 posts
You're already 3 months into it..we all have the ugly duckling stage. I would stick it out. "This too shall pass" always gets me through ;-) Hang in there Mama!! and stay away from the mirror! LOL!
Sam thomson
@sam-thomson
13 years ago
52 posts
I'm goin through the same thing as in stage wise, loose hairs loops etc etc , try to like them , they won't b like this forever , sure we all wake up on days and go bleh in the mirror...best advice I can give u is to just go with the flow ;) we will get there soon enough ! i to got tricked by dhhq but hey we all make mistakes and all we can do is learn from them
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

your at the 3 month point theyre exactly se they should be but if u do have wax in em u should be removing it allllll

3 month old dreads look that way wait till 8 months they will look great

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i'm in the same position, too. i'm almost 5 months natural. lots of lumps and bumps and crazy zig zags but also a ton of hair that hasn't started to do anything. don't worry. there's a ton of us on here in the same boat and i guess we're all in the crazy rebellious stage. don't comb out. you got through 3 months already and i'm sure it will get even better in the next 3. i'm thinking you had the vision of perfect ropes of hair like you saw on the DHHQ website. that's just not going to happen unless you crochet a ton or use yucky wax. embrace the craziness now. it's bound to get better. {{{H*U*G*S}}}
Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
(taking deep cleansing breaths...) y'all are all absolutely right, and saying just what I need to be hearing. On further exploration of my feelings, specifically what bugs me isn't the loops and loose fuzzies and whatnot at all. It's actually that almost all of my dreads have tightened and shortened and thickened, except for some at the lower part of the back of my head. These are still skinny and long, with undreaded ends, and when I look in the mirror it looks like I've got this stringy skimpy dreadlock mullet! THAT is what I'm not liking. I will hang in there, and stick it out. As my hair grows longer the shorter dreads will grow longer too. The skinny skanky ones may get thicker and they may not, but as the others get longer the mullet-like appearance should go away. Ok. There. I am soooo grateful for this site and to all you beautiful friends who are supporting me and each other!!! Thank you all!!!
dreaded delusion
@dreaded-delusion
13 years ago
84 posts
Just sit back and enjoy the ride. :) You'll be fine and so happy you were patient. I always found that when there are lots of different things going on withmy hair at the beginning stages that bothered me, I would just sit down and have fun finding different ways to style it. So, if you're concered about wanting to look professional, just have a fun/creative girly moment and try some styles. You might come to like this stage once you figure it out. :) I also agree with all the above statements. Much love and luck through your journey! :)
bailey lockhart.
@bailey-lockhart
13 years ago
6 posts
have you ever tried using a crochet needle? that helps tighten them and combine the lose hairs.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form