Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My dreadfull locks

Scotty
@scotty
15 years ago
2 posts
G'day guys!First of all, Hello! Just signed up. Its good to see a friendly dreadlock community :DIve probably had dreadlocks for about 8 and a half months now and I love em! I did a bit of research before hand and realized that the backcombing technique wasnt for me. I ended up finding a salon that proclaimed a way of dreading with out all that gross wax or chemicals.They used the crocheting technique. No backcoming at all. I had really long hair before hand too. My dreads aren't what I wanted exactly but still. Majority of my dreads are about 30cm long with about 2" of thick natural dread towards the scalp.I've been told that the crocheting technique is prone to damaging your hair?I was originally given a block of soap containing lots of natural oils and such to wash my hair with, ive run out and I don't know what to wash my hair with? Ideas?Also is there anyone else on here with a full head of crocheted dreads?Thanks all.Scotty
updated by @scotty: 02/14/15 09:46:39AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
there isand well crochet dreads wre verry high maintenance and yes dammagingif u refrain from crochet to fix them constantly u should be fineeventualysome who crochet spened 15 hours a week fixing themwas with the baking soda see the super clean dreads thread in maintenancepost a journal with pics

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
such true once you start with croching the dreads you have to do more and moreafter a while they are getting thinner and getting a lot of weak pointsbetter follow up the natural way
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
a few issues with crochet,one ya mentioned yourselfyou have 2 inches of thicker natural growth at the rootscrochet causes a unatural woven look and a thinness as new growth comes in its thicker and more natural so theres a distinct difference between natural dread and crocheted.this is 1 reason ppl keep crocheting for yearssecondly every loose hair u pull in breaks more that come out so u pull more in breakmore that come out so u pull em in..u can see where this cycles going..it becomes a never ending battle to repair themthe good newsya are under a yearwhen u perforate youir dreads they may still have a lil looseness so you might not have dome too much dammage and if ya stop crocheting they may recover and thicken up and become lil more natural lookingoh 2 or 3 other issues with crochetit becomes an obsession to control everry single hairso you get gaps between dreads where the fuzz should be and exposed scalp prone to sunburnthey often can look fake resembling a dread wig more then dreadsthe average crochet dreads get more hours of maintenance in a week then most natural dreads get in a lifetime

--
Scotty
@scotty
15 years ago
2 posts
dani said:
such true once you start with croching the dreads you have to do more and more
after a while they are getting thinner and getting a lot of weak points
better follow up the natural way
Sorry for such a newbie question. But how can I start fixing up my dreads without crocheting? I haven't gone back to the salon in a while and the top my my hair is a big mess. I'll be able to upload some pics later on.Thanks :D
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
define big messjust leave em be give em time to recover from the crochetdreads take care of themselvesyou dont ever ever need to go to a salon againbut thats why so many salons screw u when making dreads to keep u a slave as long as they can and get every cent they can out of youlet them grow in love the mess and the mess will turjn to beautythe fuzz ariound the scalp belongs there to protect the scalpas it grows it becomes baby dreads on its ownthe only maintenance dreads should require is seperating em and washing emif u have a formasl ocasion u can tidy up with aloebut for everyday..just leave em be Scotty said:
dani said:
such true once you start with croching the dreads you have to do more and more
after a while they are getting thinner and getting a lot of weak points
better follow up the natural way

Sorry for such a newbie question. But how can I start fixing up my dreads without crocheting? I haven't gone back to the salon in a while and the top my my hair is a big mess. I'll be able to upload some pics later on.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
outta curiosity and to help steer others in the right directionhow much did u pay originaly to dreadhow often in the 8 months had you gone back to the salonhow much did they charge each repeat visitwhat was the total chargehow often did you crochet on your own between visitsadd all that up and compare it to what i did/spentin 1st weeks i mindlessly played with it maybe 20 min a dayafter 2 weeks when they were dreaded i did nothing but seperate emj maybe 3 minutes a monthafter 18 years i stopped seperating em and havent done a thing in over a year(well i seperated 1 or 2 and my beard once)cost..nothingtime spent fussing with them (not including washings) maybe 5-6 hours spread out over 19 yearsnow crocheting u can spend 15 hiurs a week..and who knows what you spend at a salonkinda makes no sense to want a low maintenance hairstyle then make it very high maintenance

--
dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
yes i got also a lot of sisters and breddas who come back to me, for croching the hair into the dreads, hehe guess i am out of work, lolquestion is when the hair is strong, and they stil want, how often is it ok to do this?what would be your advise in this
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
better off educating them that its not healthy and not nesacaryyou can give em a hook and tell em its theyre choice if they wish to continue but they should be aware that it will be a needed thing for life unless they break the habbitexplain that the loose hairs they see while looking at them closely are not noticable to others who stand a few feet awaytheres nothing needing fixing

--
dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
large smile out of work seeeeeeeeeeeeeenwill stay with the crochet needle by wol and give them the link to this side :)))
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form