Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A Question for my Physically Active Dready Friends

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
Hi guys! I'm just wondering how any of you with shoulder length dreads wrangle them for physichal activities? Sports and exercise etc... I love to work out but I haven't found a great way to keep my dreads up and secure while I'm at the gym. I'd love to hear how all of you deal with this especially ways that will work or be adapted to work with dreads my length! Any input at all will be appreciated. Thanks so much everybody! Much Love!!
updated by @naturalwomyn: 02/14/15 08:19:13AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
i use the big ol ball of dreads but its not super secure and falls out after awhile

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
clementine_jam
@clementine-jam
13 years ago
13 posts
Hey Naturalwomyn!I'm sorry you have that issue, sounds frustrating! I have longer dreads, so I'm able to just tie them back, but I use those thin, stretchy elastic headbands to keep them out of my face. They look like giant, skinny ponytail holders basically. I'm thinking that might work for your shorter dreads, as long as you don't mind your dreads still touching your neck a bit in the back? You could try it, those would help keep your dreads from flying in your face when you're running haha :) Hope that helps!
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
umm i'm not hugely active atm but I'm going to start at the gym here soon, and I was thinking about wearing my thing I crocheted. It's like a hat but it's nice and loose and my dreads hang out the back so it's a mix of a dreadband/hat kinda thing but it's loose stitch so i don't think it will overheat me and the back that the dreads hang out has a pull cord to tighten up around the dreads, maybe you could find one of those, make one or have one made? I have pics in my "craft" album if i'm not discribing it well :(
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
great ideas guys! yep shanxon I know exactly what you mean, I may try making one out of a stretchy jersey material. Thanks for the help everyone!
Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts
I do a double pony tail because my dreads towards the front are not quite as long as the ones in the back. This keeps them all out of my way when jogging.
Knotty Rod
@knotty-rod
13 years ago
12 posts
i pull my dreads up to the top of my head and use about 4 rubberbands...........
Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts
I cut up old t shirts that don't fit anymore or have outlived their usefulness...(holes, whatever)...and make dread wraps. I tie my hair back in a loose ponytail (make sure you use no rip elastic...or you can may your own hair ties...there are plenty of patterns for these) sometimes in small sections before a larger ponytail...then wrap it. T shirts are great for this because they are breathable andabsorbing. It's not the mostglamorousthing in the world, but it gives purpose to older garments that aren't wearable anymore and it does the job!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
I love using the sleeves of my old tees, that would work well for the gym! Maxe I am going to learn to crochet even if i have to loose sleep to make time for it!!! Any suggestions for teaching myself? books etc?? Thanks again for the replies guys!! I am going to try all of your suggestions and see what works best for my hair!! Much Love

Stephanie Krespach said:
I cut up old t shirts that don't fit anymore or have outlived their usefulness...(holes, whatever)...and make dread wraps. I tie my hair back in a loose ponytail (make sure you use no rip elastic...or you can may your own hair ties...there are plenty of patterns for these) sometimes in small sections before a larger ponytail...then wrap it. T shirts are great for this because they are breathable andabsorbing. It's not the mostglamorousthing in the world, but it gives purpose to older garments that aren't wearable anymore and it does the job!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
Awesome Maxe!! Thanks so much for the info. I am going to get on that, it's something I've wanted to learn forever, just haven't made the time to yet. With all the dreads in my house learning to crochet is a must!!!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form