Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tips For Optimum Dreading?

Z2
@z2
13 years ago
34 posts

Ok, well, my hair is indeed dreading up, but not as fast as I'd like (well, I'm sure any of you felt this way at one time or another). I'm currently washing every 2 weeks, which means I'm not getting any itchies till that point or not at all. I use baking soda (leave on for 10 mins.) and then do a ACV rinse (3 mins., then rinse with cold water). I'm about 6 or 7 months in, with neglect. I would say that I only have about 6 semi-formed dreads, the rest is just loosely matted and not nearly as clumped. Well, the good news is that they are looking more healthy and beautiful than my last backcombed set.

Anyways, do you guys think that washing more often helps knot of faster? Also, does using sea salt really make that much of a difference? How about a wool sweater on my pillow? By this same logic wouldn't just rubbing my head against wool make it knot much faster then? Thanks.

updated by @z2: 02/14/15 07:03:46AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

sea salt helps alot washing more too wash every week or more add a spoonfull of sea salt to the baking soda u will see imediate results practicly

putting a wool sweatter on the pillow helps too

rubbing woth wooll will cause a whole head dread just a tangled mess needing to be ripped apaert

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Z2
@z2
13 years ago
34 posts
Thanks SE. Your the man. How much sea salt would you say? (Btw, I use a 64 oz. Ocean Spray bottle and put about 10 tablespoons of baking soda in it usually)...maybe a bit overkill on the BS.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea thats kinda strong and a tablespoon added to that will be plenty sea salt

--
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
I think at about 8 or 9 months, your hair will explode with dreads!
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts
Washing and rinsing with water moreoften does seem to help tighten it up. Seriously i would wash more often then just two weeks not just for hygeine/smell purposes but cause it really seems to help tighten things up.
Z2
@z2
13 years ago
34 posts
Right on. I'll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow. How many tablespoons of BS would you say? (in a 64 oz. container of water). Also, if I'm going to be washing twice a week, should I be doing the ACV rinse every time, too?

soaringeagle said:

yea thats kinda strong and a tablespoon added to that will be plenty sea salt

Z2
@z2
13 years ago
34 posts
I hope so. I seem to remember a number of neglect people saying that their hair was just chugging along slowly for awhile and at a certain point in the process, their head just exploded with dreads. Do you find this to be true?

Brandon Arnold said:
I think at about 8 or 9 months, your hair will explode with dreads!
Z2
@z2
13 years ago
34 posts
How often would you recommend?

Thundersquall said:
Washing and rinsing with water moreoften does seem to help tighten it up. Seriously i would wash more often then just two weeks not just for hygeine/smell purposes but cause it really seems to help tighten things up.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

1-3 times a week

Z said:

How often would you recommend?

Thundersquall said:

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form