Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Looking for guidance on dread specific fibers.

Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts

Hi again all!

So, as i've said before, I spin and dye (most) of my own yarn. I have all natural fibers, but I have may different *Kinds* of wool just like there are different kinds of dreadies, etc. I'm doing the *pay it forward* activity, and I'm thinking about how people live in different areas, and because of that I'm trying to think about making things which are comfortable to wear for all different KINDS of people.

I also have angora wool...which is actually from angora rabbits (the angora wool from angora sheep makes mohair). I lave alpaca fibers. I could go on...I am what you would call a huge yarn nerd. I buy all my fibers directly from the people who raise the animals, and will only deal with people that i've actually visited - so I canguaranteethat the animals are treated well, and respected in the process as well.

I've put quite a bit of thought, andpreparationinto my craft...so I'm asking here - are other natural animal fibers and other wool variations as good at helping locks as regular "wool"?

Even just within straightforward "wool" there are different grades and variations, and some is absolutely the softest most amazing next to skin stuff ever...and others is the scratchy old sweater feeling stuff. It all comes from sheep and goats.

I can get more technical on this, but i'm trying to avoid completely dorking out just yet. I appreciate any input here.

I do deal some in plant fibers as well...like hemp, cotton and bamboo...but I'm not really interested in using these for dread tams. Wool and animal fibers are the main focus here.

updated by @stephanie-krespach: 01/13/15 08:54:01PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wow very interesting but im clueless abiut this

therers even alota speculation as to why wool helps dreads dread most common theory is the electron static charge exchange but some suggested it might be lanolin content so if these other wool types have simular properties id imagine theyd do as good..but i fdunno

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
I do not know if this is true, but it seems to me that the softer fluffier wool like angora might leave fuzzies in dreads? I am not really sure what kind of wool mine is, The woman that made it used hand spun wool around the outside. The rest of the yarn she purchased. The yarn is really thin and very soft...not hard and coarse. Wish I could tell you what kind it was.
Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts
thin and soft is most likely from an angora goat, so mohair...or its a wool blend with alpaca or bamboo which is super common in store bought yarns right now to make it more "skin friendly". If you sent me a picture I could probably look at it and tell you for sure. And it would only leave fuzzies if it wasnt treated properly prior to spinning and/or cared for properly...wool only fuzzes off and pills like that if its not taken care of properly (in my experience). It also depends on it its plied or not when it's spun.

taye said:
I do not know if this is true, but it seems to me that the softer fluffier wool like angora might leave fuzzies in dreads? I am not really sure what kind of wool mine is, The woman that made it used hand spun wool around the outside. The rest of the yarn she purchased. The yarn is really thin and very soft...not hard and coarse. Wish I could tell you what kind it was.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form