Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Pulling hair back

Gavin Brooks
@gavin-brooks
13 years ago
22 posts

I am wanting to start dreading by neglect. I know that the first few months just look like messy unkept hair. Does pulling your hair back or keeping it in a hat slow or prevent dread growth?

Thanks!

updated by @gavin-brooks: 01/13/15 08:53:45PM
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

yes pulling your hair back all the time can keep it from knotting up...and i have seen a case where it caused a major uni dread to form. Your hair needs to move around so that it can section and form knots. If you have to wear your hair pulled back for work, make sure you let it down when you are not there.

Wearing a tight hat can keep it from dreading, because there again, your hair cannot move so it cannot form knots. If you have to wear a hat...get a wool tam. It is loose enough for the hair to move around, and wool will encourage dreading!

But even with a wool tam, your hair needs to be down so that it can move freely. :)

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
yep that's how i basically ruined my first set of natural/neglect dreads. I separated them but wore them pulled back 24/7 and after a year or so i couldn't wear them down anymore. It was too uncomfortable on my scalp after they started to form and grow in the direction of being pulled back. You gotta let em hang for as long as you wear them up and keep them separated!
Celeste
@celeste
13 years ago
48 posts
Mine also got flat from pulling them back!!!! Leave em down!!!! As much as you can anyway!!!!
Tori
@tori
13 years ago
34 posts
this is a struggle I have right now...cant stand hair in my face! I started to notice I have roots like 6 inches long in the front on the sides from pulling it back. gotta throw away the hair tie!! ;-)
Lex
@lex
13 years ago
217 posts
you could put it up in a tam or tie it back loosely. Just don't do it all the time and always keep a close eye on them. I always have mine up for work, but I also back-combed so that may make a difference.
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts

I usually have to put mine up or pull it back for work, then as soon as I get out of there I let it down. If I can't stand it in my face I wear a cloth head band and make sure it's pulled down as far as I ca get it in the back and I have bangs so I keep it over them in the front. (Just so it doesn't keep the hair from moving at the roots).

Hope this helps :)

Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
I wear a hat or one of those gators that should go around my neck, but on my head lol

Tori said:
this is a struggle I have right now...cant stand hair in my face! I started to notice I have roots like 6 inches long in the front on the sides from pulling it back. gotta throw away the hair tie!! ;-)
Tori
@tori
13 years ago
34 posts
Good idea!!... I'll have to sew me up a gator LOL! Thanks ;-)
Dan B
@dan-b
13 years ago
58 posts
Just try a tam.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form