dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Turning a wine cork into a bead

meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts
Hello all!

I have a cork that I've put a small hole through (perfect size for me), but inside is all the corky mess and I'm not sure how I can get rid of this so that it doesn't get stuck into my hair when I put it on/leave it on.

I've got plans to follow through the hole with a drill to make the hole more uniform, but besides that, I really don't know how to smooth out the inside to make it wearable.

Any thoughts?
updated by @meg: 02/14/15 03:37:42AM
Amber J
@amber-j
13 years ago
23 posts
Maybe you dont need to smooth it out so much, perhaps you just need to coat it with something so it doesnt fall apart. I was thinking even some type of glue that ma make a seal and prevent it from falling apart, but youd need to look into what would be ok to have in such close contact with your hair.
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
i think i would try varnish. I like the design on the cork :)
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
i have a little concern about the inside (loose cork) holding water in your dread. So i would def coat it. It may or may not be a problem but to be on the safe side, maybe not wear it when washing..or when hair is wet.
meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts
Yeah, I don't wear any if my beads when washing or wet for that very reason :)

taye said:
i have a little concern about the inside (loose cork) holding water in your dread. So i would def coat it. It may or may not be a problem but to be on the safe side, maybe not wear it when washing..or when hair is wet.
Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts
id think a drill would tear up the cork more as cork has a very open grain, it may be safer to try burning the hole with a hot poker then a good wash out.
meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts
I don't have anything like that I don't think... unless you have a homemade way! :P

Dave said:
id think a drill would tear up the cork more as cork has a very open grain, it may be safer to try burning the hole with a hot poker then a good wash out.
Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

any thick wire(coat hanger)that you can hold(pliers?) safely(it will get hot).

heat about an inch of the end over the stove(red hot) and slowly, gently move it through and around inside the hole, being careful not to push too hard as you may burn deeper than wanted.

meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts
I'll keep this in mind, thanks! :)

Dave said:

heat about an inch of the end over the stove(red hot) and slowly, gently move it through and around inside the hole, being careful not to push too hard as you may burn deeper than wanted.

Loc Lava
@loc-lava
13 years ago
42 posts

You could smooth out the inside with a bead reamer tool or a round needle file, both are jewelry making items that cost 2 or 3 dollars. You should be able to find them at any hobby, art or even home depot. I like the idea of cork beads. That might even be something others are interested in as well.

I would definitely coat it as so many other mentioned, there are many options for this as well, be careful of varnish, some can yellow or turn brownish over time. But there are plenty of clear coat options available at the same places mentioned above.

meg said:

I'll keep this in mind, thanks! :)

Dave said:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form