dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Should I just use a bead?

Chris Marshall
@chris-marshall
13 years ago
10 posts
So I've been VERY patient with my hair thus far and have gotten out of the
maybe I should just comb them out" phase. Today while in the shower I noticed that one dread had utterly unraveled and had no progress in it whatsoever (I've begun to see looping hairs and visual/physical progress in most all of my dreads, this one looked like a wet chunk of hair). Upon letting my hair dry I noticed that the dread had become about 8 thick strands of hair. I tnr'd it once it was completely dry and it is now back to square one. I consider this dread to be my once and never again "re-do". The only problem with that is that on the other side of my head I'm having issues with a dread. It is normal size, the section isn't large at all. But it hat begun to let loose a lot of hair and also seems to want to split apart (near the middle and towards the root) into many different tiny sections. I don't want to mess it up, because towards the end of the dread it is showing much progress. Should I just use a bead to fix the issue, or is it too early? These dreads are only 3-ish weeks old, maybe a week more, I've forgotten. The claims of progress may seem odd, but there are some crazy things going on in my dreads that weren't put there by me lol. Thanks for reading and I appreciate your responses!

Chris
updated by @chris-marshall: 01/13/15 08:53:36PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u can add a bead if u want but u never had to redo that dread and the other u worry about is exactly as u should expect it to be at 3 weeks..this is progress your seeeing even if it seems in reverse its still progressing towards dreads..leave em be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Chris Marshall
@chris-marshall
13 years ago
10 posts
Thanks, guys. I guess I just let impatience get to me after trying to ignore it thus far. I also forgot that sometimes unknotting leads to knotting. It's just so odd to see that rest of my dreads doing so well and then see the stragglers and not want to help them get to where the others are at in some way haha. Oh well. I've also been thinking of adding beads anyway. The dread in mention would look perfect with a bead, too. We will see.

Also, has anyone else but me noticed just how well the dread journey lends itself to Zen philosophy? The Daoist concept of Wu Wei in particular.
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

Your hair is in the process of trying to knot up into dreads. You kinda have the shape of dreads...but for the next year your hair is gonna do all kinds of funky things while it is knotting into mature dreads. your sections will loosen then tighten then loosen and tighten again and again. Don't get frustrated.

It sounds like your roots are just trying to knot up...they will move around and separate a little, they also get bumpy and loopy. It is ok...it happens. You actually should enjoy that part because it shows that something is happening!!!!

The big thing to remember at this point is to keep your hands away from your hair. you can undo the knots.

When you wash your hair....concentrate on your scalp. don't scrub the actual dread, just let the shampoo ( or whatever you wash with) run through your hair as you are cleaning your scalp. Just make sure it is rinsed well.

challie
@challie
13 years ago
19 posts
i too have a few problem dreads like that. its hard to let them go when you feel straight floppy hair thats knotted at the bottom. i took some embroidery floss and wrapped a small part of that dread where it is falling apart after rubbing it a bit to get some fuzzys going where it will be wrapped. it helps give it a little direction to knot back up. just dont wrap too tight or too loose. remember its just to guide it.
Chris Marshall
@chris-marshall
13 years ago
10 posts
Oh yes, I definitely try to keep all these things in mind.I l read this forum for months before even posting. But sometimes reading doesn't always transfer into doing. I usually only touch my hair when I'm putting them up or notice something nifty in the mirror or when an interesting one lands on my shoulder or sticks up out of the sleeve I use. I don't finger comb at all, and in the shower, my good old pitcher does the washing for me, i rub my scalp, but don't touch my dreads until I'm squeezing them to help get water out. I LOVE seeing all the crazy stuff that my hair does on its own. Waves, bumps, loops, zigzags. Theres one dread that's developed a giant loop (about two inches wide) a few inches from the root. It's my favorite. It also weirds me out a little, this visible progress, because they are so young but doing things I've seen in pictures of people with dreads months older than mine. Just wish the one or two not doing so (visually) well would catch up. Oh well. Thanks for the quick responses :)

taye said:

Your hair is in the process of trying to knot up into dreads. You kinda have the shape of dreads...but for the next year your hair is gonna do all kinds of funky things while it is knotting into mature dreads. your sections will loosen then tighten then loosen and tighten again and again. Don't get frustrated.

It sounds like your roots are just trying to knot up...they will move around and separate a little, they also get bumpy and loopy. It is ok...it happens. You actually should enjoy that part because it shows that something is happening!!!!

The big thing to remember at this point is to keep your hands away from your hair. you can undo the knots.

When you wash your hair....concentrate on your scalp. don't scrub the actual dread, just let the shampoo ( or whatever you wash with) run through your hair as you are cleaning your scalp. Just make sure it is rinsed well.

taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
loli know you have heard it before...but sometimes it is just comforting to hear it again! Be happy that your hair is wanting to dread so fast!!!! That is wonderful. Don't worry about how fast you are progressing! Enjoy it all!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form