Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How many...

Macrina
@macrina
13 years ago
41 posts

I have all but the front part (long bangs) done. But there are only 18 dreads in total. That doesn't seem like very many... I like the thickness of them right now, but wouldn't want them much thicker. Are they gonna' get thicker? I should have made them thinner maybe....? How are they going to mature?

updated by @macrina: 02/14/15 09:16:37AM
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

if you only have 18 dreads....they are gonna be big fatties. The best way to judge mature thickness is on how big the sections are. The dread will mature to be aproximately the size of the section. Most ppl section off 1" or smaller. If your sections are bigger you might wanna think about redoing them.

It has a little to do with your hair thickness and texture .

My hair is really thin and really fine...so my dreads will always be a tad bit smaller than my sections. My hair was about the thickness of a dime when in a pony tail before i dreaded it. Now each of my dreads are as thick as a dime! I have about 30 dreads.

Most dreads will shrink up and fatten up a whole lot during the first year. So you can't judge the mature size by looking at a baby dread

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
that sounds like you might end up with some real fatties when they mature. most people suggest a 1" sized section. when they shrink up they will double over on themselves. i'm not too sure if the rule applies to people with thin, fine hair which maybe you have and you would probably be fine. i would wait and see what happens. you can always separate some later on.
Macrina
@macrina
13 years ago
41 posts
BLAH. What a learning process this is ! Well all but one came out after half a bottle of conditioner and an hour in the shower, lol! I want these babies to be done right, so it will be worth it. I made an appointment to get it properly sectioned tomorrow, then I get to do it again :) I really want them to be on the smaller size, not the bigger. And shockingly my hair doesn't seem totallydestroyed after twisting and ripping and taking it all out.
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

you can section it yourself instead of having to pay someone to do it. Or have a friend help. But if you have it sectioned in the salon...don't let em talk you into doing anything else. They will probably try to make you feel like they know more than you do and would do a better job than you would. Don't listen. By researching here you know as much and more than they do.

Good Luck with it!! and keep us posted!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
18 will be pretty damn thick and they abbsolutely thickewn up a ton u shouldnt maker the dread the size u want but the roots section size since a thin dread can have a thick root and swell up to that size

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u i can section it yourself just dont go huge go 1/2 inch to an inch or less if u go to a salon they will all be exactly the same size and look weird

just section smaller pencil size to an inch max

--
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
post more pics when you get them done again.good luck!
Liberty
@liberty
13 years ago
33 posts
This has been very helpful I now realise each of mine is going to be huge they are already big I have massive hair and 29 dreads :$

Heather said:
post more pics when you get them done again. good luck!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
yea dreads get fatter the root section size determines dread size when maturte not the thickness u make em

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form