Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

"the dread nodd"

andrew lazare
@andrew-lazare
13 years ago
3 posts

Duringmy experiences of bumping into fellow dreads, I've found that sometimes there is little more than a nodd to acknowledge each others dew. I love the nodd butI always feel that a conversation should erupt and I could end up becoming friends with the person.

I've made onlyone friend/loverdue tomyknots,asidefromthe peopleon this site but would like to surround myselfwith more dreadheadsday to day.

My favoured encounter was with an old rasta at a gas station who when recognized I was dreading, looked deep into my eyes and whispered "raaaassttaaa" so that no one else could hear. It still gives me a chill of excitement when I think back.

I would like to hearthe experiences of otherswith dreaded strangersor maybe your favourite experience if you have many.

updated by @andrew-lazare: 02/14/15 03:28:57AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dread nods are always there anytime 2 dreadheads pass by eachother

conversations take walkinmg up and saying hi

the nods like the namaste a recognition of the specialness of the other but to walk up and say hi opens the door to getting to know one another

i also notice the nod goes with the under the breath more felt then heard howsit going wassup type remarks but below audible levels more like a word on a brearth and i respond the same with a semi silent responce

theres a nin verbal communication to it much like at the gatherings during the sillence on the 4th u can have a silent convo with breath nods and gestures..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mia Elizabeth
@mia-elizabeth
13 years ago
45 posts

Unfortunantly I havn't even experienced a dread nod. :(

Hopefully now on considering I actually look like i am dreading now(4months)

instead of just a mess who hasn't brushed her rat's nest for a while.

If we ever cross paths will definitely start a convo.

Peace & love,

Mia

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
I have had a rather rough time of my journey. My hair has been resistant (to say the least!). I am heading into 7 mos. and FINALLY seeing progress in the back and here and there on the sides. I have alot of beads hanging all around, so I have wondered if people just look at me like a Christmas tree with decorations since it is the time of year...or do they see what it really is?! LOL Anyway, just this past week I got my first dread nod and it was just as SE said....a beautiful but silent conversation. I was tearing through Salt Lake City airport, slepping all my bags and crap and I LITERALLY ran into another dreadie! We slammed into each other and when our vision cleared, she looked at me and I looked at her and there was this instant kind of "are we related somehow" moment! She just nodded and smiled this kind of knowing smile and I smiled back. Sounds corny, but it made my day.
neil coe
@neil-coe
13 years ago
361 posts
cool story andrew, raaaassttaaa : )
Jessica
@jessica
13 years ago
70 posts
People see dreads and assume the person is rasta, someone on the chair lift today while I was sking under them was smoking a joint and yelled it to me haha. I think people with dreads will always have that special connection for the most part. I've met some people and had such a strong connection you don't even need to talk, your eyes do the talking.
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts
He whispered "raaaaaaassttaaaa" ? Thats wierd, with or without dreads.
andrew lazare
@andrew-lazare
13 years ago
3 posts
I`m sorry, I`m unsure of why you find that strange...I'm not actually that curious but if you care to elaborate, I guess I'll give you a minute

Thundersquall said:
neil coe
@neil-coe
13 years ago
361 posts
wierd....... not at all, i found it to be moving

Thundersquall said:
benjiro martin
@benjiro-martin
13 years ago
1 posts
I think the "Dread nodd" is a sign of respect. Not so much for the rasta (I'm not a rasta) aspect of the dread but for the patience it takes to grow & maintain them. plus the outside world in some instances dont know or understand the power that it brings to one who wear them. I've been growing my hair for 15 years, I get the nod, the pound, but my favorite is acknowledgement is "wha ya say brethren"
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form