Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Beginning of a new journey

BJ Sickboy
@bj-sickboy
13 years ago
20 posts

i've thought long and hard, and reflected and prayed.

initially i got my locks to represent freedom. after getting them, i had to learn patience. BUT after reflecting on my methods (crocheting and interlocking)), i've realized that i wasn't free and i wasn't patient. I wasn't free to wet/wash my hair anytime, or swim when i wanted in fear that i would mess them up. I had to report to a salon every month to keep them looking pretty and i took the easy way to LOOKING dread instead of taking a journey to BE dread.

after 7 months of having these locks, and learning on this site, i have decided to grow them out in pursuit of the true philosophy of why i love dreads. if i cannot bare with the new growth, i will cut them off out of respect for dreadlocks. if i'm gonna do them, i wanna do them right. and if i can't then i will just admire them.

thank you to all those who have advised me and welcomed me to this site. wish me luck. i post pictures of my progress.

updated by @bj-sickboy: 02/14/15 06:10:54AM
Mia Elizabeth
@mia-elizabeth
13 years ago
45 posts

I am glad you have made a decision that works for you.

Welcome to the site and may your journey be blessed. :)

Peace & love,

Mia

Mike3
@mike3
13 years ago
13 posts
Great story man... Im 1 year and 2 months freeform aka neglect method and loving them.. I had to learn to love my locks for who they are as well... I tried backcombing and twist and rip around 7 months but i didnt do it right (thank god) and now they look better than ever. Just lay back and enjoy the journey bro... Peace
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
congrats and im sure u wil be really happy with your new locks

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
BJ Sickboy
@bj-sickboy
13 years ago
20 posts
thanks for the support everyone. yall have been very enlightening. i'll take it one day at a time. i know my biggest challenge will be the "neatness" of the dreads. but if i can't deal with it, then i dont deserve them. i love dreads too much to disrespect them.
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts

That's awesome! Glad you were able to "see the light" lol.

I just had to explain to an african american lady I work with why I don't comb my hair and why it looks so messy. She was telling me if she didn't wear her doo-rag at night and didn't go to a salon, her hair would be all nappy. I was like "exactly!!!!"

but congrats. I hope you can push through the messy phases and stuff! If you ever feel down or get made fun of, just come on this site and it'll boost your confidence right up. works all the time for me lol

BJ Sickboy
@bj-sickboy
13 years ago
20 posts
loli don't mean that i don't deserve dreads because of my mistep. but i mean, i don't deserve dreads if i can't deal with the path that comes with it, starting now. (e.g. if my hair is too messy for my liking and i cant stand it, or if i don't like how they look, then i would rather cut them off than go back to having manicured dreads). i'm not condemning myself for my past actions just saying that i would rather have real dreads and a real journey than have manipulated ones.

Knottysleeves said:

I respect your spiritual connection to your dreads, but I think it's silly to say you or anyone else doesn't "deserve" dreads just because you might make a misstep or two in your journey. Dreads are just matted hair. And dreading happens naturally to anyone who doesn't comb/brush and condition their hair, no matter who they are or what they believe in. Even my cat's fur mats up into soft puffy dreads if I don't brush her every day. ;-)

As I said, I respect your beliefs, but I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. A dread journey is supposed to be enjoyable, not a source of guilt or shame or inadequacy. ;-)

BJ Sickboy said:

thanks for the support everyone. yall have been very enlightening. i'll take it one day at a time. i know my biggest challenge will be the "neatness" of the dreads. but if i can't deal with it, then i dont deserve them. i love dreads too much to disrespect them.
David E Glazai
@david-e-glazai
13 years ago
23 posts
yea I definitely hear you n wish you the best on your new journey, I've had to deal with a lot coming from others about why I let my hair jus do their own thing but I'm quiet satisfied and happy with the outcome so far, I've developed an indescribable new comfort and patience towards a more simplistic way of life through my on-going journey, and I personally think it's one of the better decisions I've made in my young adult life (21 years old)
BJ Sickboy
@bj-sickboy
13 years ago
20 posts
lol. i feel you bro, funny story man. and thanks for the support!

Brandon Arnold said:

That's awesome! Glad you were able to "see the light" lol.

I just had to explain to an african american lady I work with why I don't comb my hair and why it looks so messy. She was telling me if she didn't wear her doo-rag at night and didn't go to a salon, her hair would be all nappy. I was like "exactly!!!!"

but congrats. I hope you can push through the messy phases and stuff! If you ever feel down or get made fun of, just come on this site and it'll boost your confidence right up. works all the time for me lol

BJ Sickboy
@bj-sickboy
13 years ago
20 posts
inspiring dude. freal

David E Glazai said:
yea I definitely hear you n wish you the best on your new journey, I've had to deal with a lot coming from others about why I let my hair jus do their own thing but I'm quiet satisfied and happy with the outcome so far, I've developed an indescribable new comfort and patience towards a more simplistic way of life through my on-going journey, and I personally think it's one of the better decisions I've made in my young adult life (21 years old)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form