Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Getting discouraged with progress. suggestions?

kookla
@kookla
13 years ago
13 posts

I'm about 6mo into this. Sectioned and very loosely backcombed to start. Wash twice a week or so with either Dr. Bronners or BS/ACV.

The dreads on the crown of my head and the nape of my neck are doing great! Super knotted and loopy. They look crazy and I love them. The rest of my hair, however, is so very straight. I can see where it is semi beginning to section again, but not much. It is the hair covering the majority of my head.

So, dreads on the top and underneath. Nothing in the middle. Is there anything I can do to get that part of my hair going?

updated by @kookla: 02/14/15 09:21:38AM
meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts
I would just leave them alone, to be honest :) They're still young! They'll lock up, just need more time. You'll get there <3
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts

Just let it be, probably.

Sleep on some wool, or wear wool hats/tams/head bands, or you could use beads.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
sea salt wool over pillow do u tie em up alot if so dont

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Zach2
@zach2
13 years ago
20 posts
do you sleep on your stomach? i feel like thats the part of the head that goes right on the pillow...but SE makes a good point the wool pillow really helped...what i did was put my drug rug (don't know the colloquial term for these sweaters but ithink you all know what i mean) over my pillow and i tied the sleeves in the back...the dreads i sleep on started locking up MUCH faster it was quite noticeable...another change i made that seemed to help was i stopped towel drying my hair...i ring them out as good as possible then i shake then ring then shake then ring and if they are dry enough to let air dry i do that if i am in a rush i will blow dry....but i noticed that when my hair got wet the dread sort of stuck together well and towel drying was just undoing that stuck togetherness
kookla
@kookla
13 years ago
13 posts

Thanks all!

I do tie them up a lot, I really need it out of the way for work.

For a while I was sleeping on a wool sweater, but got to itchy. I'll go back to it and see if that helps.

thanks!

amy

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
yea tying your hair back a lot can definitely hinder progress. what are you washing with??
kookla
@kookla
13 years ago
13 posts

I switch off with Dr. Bronners and baking soda/acv. Is the acv necessary? I wonder if it is too conditioning..

Attached pictures are some of my knottier ones a few months ago.

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
i wouldn't use the acv every time you wash. It is pretty conditioning IMO. Try using the BS w/o the acv and see how your hair is afterwards. If your hair gets too dried out try using the acv every other time you wash.
Mike3
@mike3
13 years ago
13 posts
Quit thinking about it.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form